Sidequest: VGA scan doubler

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
sandord

Re: Sidequest: VGA scan doubler

Post by sandord »

My take is usually to make sure to have a lot of projects going on concurrently :P
Often that's a great way to deal with procrastination as well ;)
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

True! I'm actually working on my hard drive project in the meantime :)
sandord

Post by sandord »

Smonson wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:03 pm True! I'm actually working on my hard drive project in the meantime :)
:o care to tell us a bit more about that? :excited:
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Nothing fancy, I just like making my own stuff. It's basically a SatanDisk. Should work out pretty cheap as I'm using an ATMega plus a small 3.3v FPGA to do all the work. It seems to be physically working, now I'm just figuring out what the correct responses to the ACSI commands are meant to look like. I'll make a post for it once it actually works as a disk 🙂
sandord

Post by sandord »

Smonson wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:44 am Nothing fancy, I just like making my own stuff. It's basically a SatanDisk. Should work out pretty cheap as I'm using an ATMega plus a small 3.3v FPGA to do all the work. It seems to be physically working, now I'm just figuring out what the correct responses to the ACSI commands are meant to look like. I'll make a post for it once it actually works as a disk 🙂
Nevertheless, be sure to write that post. I think your work is highly inspiring and equally exciting :mrgreen:
JezC

Post by JezC »

Definitely interested in anything like this - with all the other retro-computer expenses, buying an actual US or Satandisk is a pipe dream at the moment...so having a similar solution available (hopefully for lower cost) would be amazing!

I'd considered using an ARM Cortex-M micro for USB MSD (as well as keyboard & mouse) & SD Card support...but that won't happen for a year or two/three at best...and will require something like a SCSI disc failure to prompt me into action... :shrug:

Very inspirational to see all these great developments in the community!
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Thanks guys, you are too kind. I'll post the progress I have now, which is not very much, in a new thread :)
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Everything worked out great. I haven't even hooked up the blanking signal, but the picture is already fantastic. It'd probably look even better on an old analogue VGA monitor, but I don't have one to test it.
vidmod0-3.jpg
vidmod0-3.jpg (193.26 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
vidout8.jpg
vidout8.jpg (121.58 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
vidout9.jpg
vidout9.jpg (166.7 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Very nice ! :yay: :thumbup:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Looks really nice. Will it fit in the shifter enclosure with the lid on or is that the goal? It looks like it will anyway.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”