ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board v1 - BETA Testers

Related information and WIP etc
PhilC

Re: ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board v1 - BETA Testers

Post by PhilC »

Icky wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm
PhilC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:31 pm And it's fixed, I found a short circuit. #CarryOnAsIfNothingHappened
Is that your new forum name :D

Any pics of the IDE working :)
Nah, that should be more like Wreck it Ralph.

Just doing the partitioning now, then will send a photo etc
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PhilC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:44 pm
Icky wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Is that your new forum name :D

Any pics of the IDE working :)
Nah, that should be more like Wreck it Ralph.

Just doing the partitioning now, then will send a photo etc
Just a reminder that the HDD Test program is here https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 642#p18545 if you want to do some write / read testing.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Will download the test program in a mo but here's the requested photos
20190410_191746.jpg
20190410_191746.jpg (378.62 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
20190410_191736.jpg
20190410_191736.jpg (467.95 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
Device type is a Toshiba THNCF2G04QG 2.0GB, formatted to 4 partitions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PhilC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:20 pm Will download the test program in a mo but here's the requested photos

Device type is a Toshiba THNCF2G04QG 2.0GB, formatted to 4 partitions.
:coolpics: - It works. So now there are 3.

With RJ and PaulJ getting theirs done soon we will have 5.

Now time to test to destruction PhilC :)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Just doing the HD Test now, first at 8mhz, then at 16mhz. I've noticed the LED on the board doesn't work.

What programmer did you guys use to burn the TOS roms, I've got the adaptor for my TL866 but the ATF27C4096 is only listed as DIP40.

Or maybe I'll just check it at 8mh then. Switching to 16mhz and the Mega fails to boot. Not sure if it's cos I've not got the CE wire from the booster connected. Didn't know where to put it.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Nice Phil, I guess at some point I'll plug the accelerator in. Exxos is going to need to give us a central point to connect to so the accelerator can be turned on at $E00000 and $FC0000 so it accelerates for both rom areas. Delivery said 245's will be here tomorrow. Phil, I use a chipmax2 programmer.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks Paul, unfortunately that's a bit too expensive for my needs but does look like a good programmer.

But anyway, a productive evening:
1, learned how to set up Atari HDs.
2, Fixed my non working LED.
3, Tested a 2GB and 4GB CF card with the IDE and all worked ok, even with the HD test program.
4, Found that one of my other 4GB CFs, the Mega doesn't even boot, just a grey screen But this CF card works fine under windows.
5, Gembench test shows everything is normal under 8mhz.
6, Mega wont boot at all with the 1.5 booster at 16mhz.
7, I get very bored waiting for the HD test program to finish.

@Icky & Exxos, would either of you like the non functional CF to test?
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PhilC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:36 pm Thanks Paul, unfortunately that's a bit too expensive for my needs but does look like a good programmer.

But anyway, a productive evening:
1, learned how to set up Atari HDs.
2, Fixed my non working LED.
3, Tested a 2GB and 4GB CF card with the IDE and all worked ok, even with the HD test program.
4, Found that one of my other 4GB CFs, the Mega doesn't even boot, just a grey screen But this CF card works fine under windows.
5, Gembench test shows everything is normal under 8mhz.
6, Mega wont boot at all with the 1.5 booster at 16mhz.
7, I get very bored waiting for the HD test program to finish.

@Icky & Exxos, would either of you like the non functional CF to test?
Nice list of stuff. I think we did talk about a list of cards that work and that don't. Exxos and I did have one knocking about from our tests. Will try and dig it out and put on here. Could you list your CF cards make etc that work and the one that doesn't so we can add to the list.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

glad you make some progress Phil!

If you have a problematic CF then please send it to me and I will investigate it..

As for the booster, we probably drifting off topic here.. But you are of course on new territory coupling the booster with a development IDE board. So I cannot really help you with that much. But the booster CE line just goes to the ROM OE line.. that is all.. In fact for initial testing we do not even have to connect that wire.. Booster will just default to 8MHz ROM access. The mega of course needs the clock buffer board to function as the 16MHz line sucks... But I really wouldn't bother with the booster with this IDE board.. I think you are just setting yourself up for a lot of hassle trying to mash together things which have been basically untested together.

.. And yes the hard drive test program will take some hours to complete.. That is the whole idea of a stability tests ;)

EDIT:
BTW you need to change those SIL's on the MEGA to 4.7K or 2.2K...
Have a look here at various things... http://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/V ... /index.htm
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:57 pm Nice list of stuff. I think we did talk about a list of cards that work and that don't. Exxos and I did have one knocking about from our tests. Will try and dig it out and put on here. Could you list your CF cards make etc that work and the one that doesn't so we can add to the list.
The iffy card I had, I did not list it, because it was working on the PC either. So I just put it down to a faulty card.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “H4 MONGREL EDITION DEVELOPMENT & INFO”