Amiga Demo Scene CD Idea

The place to upload all essential Amiga software.

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Amiga Demo Scene CD Idea

Post by terriblefire »

alexh wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:14 am Would it improve CD performance by simply adding buffers in AmigaOS? Will the CD32 AmigaOS CDFS then read-ahead?
Worth a try I guess. Whats the command magic for that?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
alexh

Post by alexh »

I'm not that familiar with CD0: but for DF0: and DH0: it is

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_M ... ADDBUFFERS
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

There are a couple of demos that don't play nice on NTSC machines, and basically hang the machine. I need to modify the script to report what's being played so I can identify the culprits. Just need some free time...
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Yeah I did a revised iso and took out some problematic Demos like:Eludes Rise and Shine,which is completey garbled and found that multiverse_aga froze completely at the `Bookcase` scene
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

supaduper wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:36 am Yeah I did a revised iso and took out some problematic Demos like:Eludes Rise and Shine,which is completey garbled and found that multiverse_aga froze completely at the `Bookcase` scene
Aye but the point of the demo CD was also a regression test to make me fix these things :D
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

You can always leave them on the CD if there is space, and least they should be able to be run by Boot No Startup Sequence and manually running them.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:41 pm You can always leave them on the CD if there is space, and least they should be able to be run by Boot No Startup Sequence and manually running them.
The demos are numbered and not easily identified...
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

The following demos crash on NTSC machines thus dampening the enjoyment somewhat:

Last Goat Standing by Noice
Reboxer by Elude
Tint by TBL
We Can Code Again
We come in peace by Elude
Captured Dreams - The Black Lotus
Serenity by Elude
Lightshaft by Elude
Rise and shine by Elude
Dust by Elude
Machinist by Elude
Step by step by Elude
Hexel by Ephidrena (only music plays but no video)

The following runs fine but fails to quit at the end:

Magia - The Black Lotus
alexh

Post by alexh »

I'm not familiar with AGA NTSC/PAL differences. I presume most Demos change the screen mode and refresh in software so incompatibility is down to slightly different chipram speed?
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

alexh wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:54 pm I'm not familiar with AGA NTSC/PAL differences. I presume most Demos change the screen mode and refresh in software so incompatibility is down to slightly different chipram speed?
I don’t know why they crash. They all seem to use the same display area which fits on a 320x200 screen. Most tbl demos are all pushed to the bottom of the screen with a big black bar on top but other than that they run correctly.

On a pal machine, you get top and bottom black bars, so basically the bottom black bar gets cut off on an ntsc machine, but it’s not a problem since nothing is displayed there anyway.

Basically none of the demos force a different screen mode than what the machine runs natively, which is probably the right thing to do to make sure the target user will be able to display it.

Since it is very unlikely these demos will get patched, my suggestion was to push them to the end of the queue so at least the first 50% will run correctly if the user happens to have an ntsc machine. And if they have a pal machine, they get to see the other half too.

Return to “AMIGA SOFTWARE”