Strange STe link wire

The place to ask all those likely daft questions!
Badwolf

Re: Strange STe link wire

Post by Badwolf »

wub wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:05 pm If I run the new STe version of Lotus Turbo Challenge I get a couple of problems. The chip music will drop out after a while and not come back, while the samples carry on playing correctly. By this point the graphics on screen are starting to corrupt, a flashing line under each car that gets 1 vertical row taller each level, and the background has horizontal rows of corrupt data that get worse each level too.
Do you by chance have the STE with the integrated blitter, ie. U101 is unpopulated?

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
wub

Post by wub »

@Badwolf No, my STe is the same as this one: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4718

The only difference is that the link on the bottom is flapping around freely as it doesn't have the blobs of glue holding it to the board.

Do you have problems running Lotus Turbo STe too?
wub

Post by wub »

@exxos Thanks for the suggestion about replacing my CPU, I've looked at the ones you're selling and it sounds like a really good idea. I'll put an order in before the weekend!
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

wub wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:34 pm @Badwolf No, my STe is the same as this one: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4718

The only difference is that the link on the bottom is flapping around freely as it doesn't have the blobs of glue holding it to the board.

Do you have problems running Lotus Turbo STe too?
No, or at least I don't know: I'll be honest, I've not got around to trying it.

I was thinking it sounded a bit blitter-ish, and it put me in mind of a different issue.

Have you tried removing and cleaning the blitter chip itself, spraying the socket with contact cleaner and reseating a few times?

BW
wub

Post by wub »

If you haven't tried the special Lotus Turbo STe version you're in for a treat! :)

As for the chips, I found that they are all really tough to get out, so I let them be for now. I would have expected some sort of flaky behaviour, particularly when it warms up, if something like that was going on?

I like the idea of running a lower power 68k CPU so I'm going to give that a try anyway. If things are still not 100% then I may get brave and try re-seating everything.. I'd feel happier doing that if I had another spare ST to use if things go wrong!
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

wub wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:25 pm I like the idea of running a lower power 68k CPU so I'm going to give that a try anyway. If things are still not 100% then I may get brave and try re-seating everything.. I'd feel happier doing that if I had another spare ST to use if things go wrong!
I was focusing more on the Lotus problem, but if the sound is knackered in Frontier too it's likely a different problem (or possibly two problems).

Good luck!

BW
wub

Post by wub »

Yeah, you're right. I wonder if that funky factory mod to the sound chip has something to do with it all..

Anyway, thanks for your advice! :)
wub

Post by wub »

Thanks to @exxos I now have a new 68k CPU installed and it has indeed fixed the corrupted graphics in Lotus Turbo STE! :D

I had it running for about 4 hours this evening and no problems showed up at all. The sound chip music still drops out after a while so I still have something funny going on but at this point I'm just going to get on with using it and see what happens. Half meg games seem to work fine so it might just be a weird 1MB STe hardware bug?

My first project will be to port a small Sam Coupe sound FX app to the ST and get my head around this yamaha sound chip so maybe something will come up.. either way, good call Exxos! I'm a lot happier with how this is working now :)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo:

I suspect it stems from the pullups. I guess it would be interesting to try changing them with the original CPU to see if that solves the problems.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
wub

Post by wub »

If it's just a case of buying some new resistors and swapping them in then I'd be up for having a go at that. It would be nice to understand exactly what's wrong and get it fixed 100% I'm just worried about making a mistake that leaves me without a working ST at all. When I have the funds available I'll get an STFM as a backup machine and revisit this for sure.

Thanks again! :)

Return to “NOOB QUESTIONS”