Atari 1040ST with TF536

Other boosters or variants.
Technoid6502

Re: Atari 1040ST with TF536

Post by Technoid6502 »

Can you direct me to a list of the necessary mods/upgrades I need to perform on my 1040stfm preparatory to the TF536? THANKS!

Best,

Jeff
Steve

Post by Steve »

Technoid6502 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:17 pm My goal is the fastest and most capable machine I can make for use with MiNT (a BSD derivative). Gaming is of no interest.
At present I have only a floppy drive to boot from and I read here that floppy I/O is broken with the TF536? If this is so it could explain some things, as well as the fact that I have TOS version 1.4 (Rainbow) installed in the machine. I intend to upgrade to 2.06 to get around that.

Best,

jeff
I also have a similar project on the go, you definitely need to make sure your motherboard has all the mandatory fixes as Exxos said & you'll need a dual tos switcher and rom decoder board. But yeah don't forget you, like the rest of us are pioneers in new ground when it comes to this. Keep us updated with how you go... Currently I have my tf536 booting to tos 2.06/emutos, haven't got much further yet.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Actually MiNT has very little to do with BSD UNIX other than the library borrowing the function calls and the system calls echoing the BSD UNIX arguments. A lot of these were second hand via the SunOS 4.1.x manual pages, so even they aren't directly BSD 4.3 derived.

In the early 90s I did write a BSD-style init process, which is still used, and ported a number of the BSD 4.3 daemons and other programs over to make the MiNTOS "release", but most of this has been replaced over the years by the FreeMiNT community.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Technoid6502 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:02 pm Can you direct me to a list of the necessary mods/upgrades I need to perform on my 1040stfm preparatory to the TF536? THANKS!

Best,

Jeff
Well, all you really need is to upgrade the ST RAM, add TOS 2.06 decoding and replace the CPU with a socket really. You'll not be able to fit the keyboard and case top back on though with the TF536 fitted so you may like to look at building an external keyboard housing and cable.

My machine worked fine with the stock pull-up resistors as long as the UltraSATAN wasn't plugged in. Even then it worked like that initially with the UltraSATAN but gradually became more unreliable, as if the UltraSATAN was degrading it. Swapping the DMA chip seemed to fix it more than changing the pull-ups from the stock 10K ohm to 4.7K ohm. I did try 2.2K ohm pull-ups but that stopped both the floppy and UltraSATAN from working properly at all.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Technoid6502 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:02 pm Can you direct me to a list of the necessary mods/upgrades I need to perform on my 1040stfm preparatory to the TF536? THANKS!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1585
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”