JTAG programming with Raspberry Pi

All about the ST536 030 ST booster.
stephen_usher

JTAG programming with Raspberry Pi

Post by stephen_usher »

Does anyone know what JTAG comms should look like on an oscilloscope?

I'm using xc3sprog with the following command line when logged in as root to see if I have a connection:
xc3sprog -c sysfsgpio_creator -j
From what I can see I'm getting activity on TMS (normally high, pulses low), TDI (normally high, pulses low), TDO (normally low, pulses high) and TCK (normally low, pulses high).

I've put debug statements into xc3sprog and it's just not reading anything, whether or not I have the connector on the TF536 or not.

I've quadruple checked the cable connections.

TMS: Pin 7
TCK: Pin 11
TDO: Pin 13
TDI: Pin 15

Any ideas?
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Re: JTAG programming with Raspberry Pi

Post by stephen_usher »

I've got it working now.

I've powered the TF536 directly from the power input on the board and removed it from the ST, but the biggest change was swapping the Raspberry PI.

I replaced the original Model B (256MB) with a later 512MB Model B and I think that did the trick. The GPIO on the original Pi may be suspect.

Both the "matrix_creator" and "sysfsgpio_creator" GPIO access methods work.

Now to program the TF536 with the latest firmware.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Next roadblock. Nothing's ever simple is it?

When trying to write the new firmware I'm getting
Erase still running 00
failed

Mismatch at fuse 3: 1 vs 0
Has the image been locked?
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

No that is not the firmware it`s the xilinx chip it is write protected, I have had the odd one like that when using ras pie to program the T330, in the end I had to use the xilinx programmer `Impact` to clear the write protect and them I could program the chip, I do not know or think the xc3sprog has the facillty to unprotect the chip
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK. So it looks like I'll have to buy a programmer. Any recommendations?
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

I just bought a cheap knockoff xilinx programmer on the bay but it was a pain to get it to run on my windows 8 machine( I aint no expert :)
just look at a thread further down you will see one regarding the xilinx programmer and the headache to get it run on Windblows.

link to thread
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=3468
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Thanks!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Got the knock-off programmer and have spent 2 nights trying to get the Xilinx LabTools working under Linux on an old Athlon 64 laptop.

Of course, the 6 year old Linux distro I'm using is too new for the software as that requires the ancient 2.6 kernel!

Still there are hacks and I've just now got it to recognise, sort of, the programmer. I'll have to get power to the TF and hook up the cable to see if it really sees it... then the fun of working out how to send the JED file. :-)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK. I'm getting nowhere with programming the TF536.

I've got a cloned Xilinx programmer (Waveshare DLC10) and I've tried it with the ISC 14.7 software... That fails with iMPACT discovering an infinite number of phantom devices on the JTAG chain after finding the Xilinx device and so fails. Manually adding the device, as detected in the boundary check fails too.

So, I built the main-line xc3sprog, with the help of the Pi cmake files as the originals are broken and I get the same lock problem as I had on the Pi. But it does only find the one device during the boundary check.

There seems to be no bleedin' way to update the firmware on my card! Aaaaargh!

Return to “ST536 030 ST ACCELERATOR”