TF536 Atari firmware

Other boosters or variants.
PhilC

TF536 Atari firmware

Post by PhilC »

The latest TF536 firmware for version 2b can he found here:

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =93&t=3442
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
stephen_usher

Re: TF536 Atari firmware

Post by stephen_usher »

One problem I'm having... trying to get the firmware onto the TF using a Raspberry Pi.

I've built xc3sprog but when I use 'xc3sprog -c matrix_creator -j" it says no JTAG tags found.

Maybe it's due to the latest version of the distribution or the Raspberry Pi original Model B (256MB) isn't running the GPIO correctly?

Anyone got any ideas?
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
derkom

Post by derkom »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:43 pm One problem I'm having... trying to get the firmware onto the TF using a Raspberry Pi.

I've built xc3sprog but when I use 'xc3sprog -c matrix_creator -j" it says no JTAG tags found.
Unless I'm missing something here, you should be using sysfsgpio_creator, not matrix_creator.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I tried that as root (as pi didn't have permission) and that gave the same error.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Sorry for asking but you have power to the TF536 right?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

There's 3.3V from the Pi which is supposed to power the chip for JTAG, but I also tried with the board in the ST and powering it, but that stopped the ST from booting, even when the TF wasn't the selected processor and it didn't help the comms.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@stephen_usher You need to have the TF536 powered as the JTAG 3.3v does not power the TF536. Easiest way is to plug it into the ST and switch it on. It obviously won't boot until you've got the correct firmware in it, then its a quick press of the reset after programming and off you go.

I've never done it with a pi though but the voltage requirements are the same as using a Xilinx programmer.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

You have to power the TF536 on the 5v rail to program it. There are exceptions to this but follow this rule to avoid killing things.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK. I'll look into it. I may solder a power header on the TF536 so I can give it a stable +5V and GND as otherwise who knows what mayhem the noise might create.
derkom

Post by derkom »

PhilC wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:02 pm @stephen_usher You need to have the TF536 powered as the JTAG 3.3v does not power the TF536. Easiest way is to plug it into the ST and switch it on.
terriblefire wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:20 pm You have to power the TF536 on the 5v rail to program it. There are exceptions to this but follow this rule to avoid killing things.
Really? Both times I've programmed mine, it's been out of the computer, powered by the Raspberry Pi via the JTAG connector. Should I not be doing that? If that's the wrong way to be doing this, why does the JTAG connector even have a power pin?

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”