I love our postal system! (sarcasm)

News and information about the exxos store. Includes common questions and answers, plus information on new items for sale or items which will be coming off sale soon etc
coonsgm

I love our postal system! (sarcasm)

Post by coonsgm »

I just received an awesome package from the Exxos webstore today. I will preface the photo with the comment that due to how well everything inside was packaged, there was no damage to any of my items purchased (THANK YOU EXXOS!).

Seriously though, this package looks like it was stomped on in some way....hard to image how this kind of damage could occur unintentionally. :lol:

package 7.21.jpg
package 7.21.jpg (207.39 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I love our postal system! (sarcasm)

Post by exxos »

My girlfriend packages them up :)

It's why we do not send much stuff in jiffy bags even though technically it would be " adequate" in a lot of cases. Basically we work on the premise that the box will be 50% crushed on destination. So we package accordingly.

EDIT:

I remember a few years ago someone on Facebook posted pictures of a crushed package and really slagged off the thing.. But despite the package being crushed like 50%, I think the only damage was a slightly bent SCR on a power supply which is questionable if it was soldered on straight to start with :lol:

So really it was a testament how good the packaging was, but I likely got flamed by multiple people for "poor packing" even though it is blatantly obvious everything survived despite being the package being crushed to that extent. But alas. "people on facebook" again :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
coonsgm

Post by coonsgm »

Too bad on the FB front...it's clear that the damage was out of the ordinary and the packaging was what kept everything ok in spite of the damage. At the end of the day, I don't care what the package looks like as long as the items are fine.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

I used to (allegedly, of course) work at a well known courier company.
(Think of the word 'Oops', as in 'Oops, I dropped your parcel!' and you may guess the company.)

Anyway, so the parcels would come in on a HGV 30/40 ft trailer and get passed down onto a conveyor belt. So far so good eh?

Well, if you can imagine the trailer being packed sensibly, with heavy/big items at the bottom and light small on the top and the top items are being put on the conveyor first (obviously, eh?)...

There begins problem one; when they reach the particular van, they are pulled off and put down in the van FIRST. That means, heavy parcels on top of light ones.

And perhaps I can tell you, people have no limits (weight wise it seems) to what they posted. I had to deliver car tyres, actual engine blocks(!) and some woman used to send parcels to Poland tied together loosely with string and count it as one parcel! Used to weigh a ton. By the time the drivers came in, they had no time to re arrange the whole van, so nothing was done about the unfortunate weight distribution of loaded parcels.

So, onto problem two, (which was skimmed past). That'll be, the teenage nipper they employ to come in before the van drivers, to 'tip' the parcel off of the conveyor belt onto the floor by the van and then load/throw it in the van. The heavier it is, the harder it falls! They dont really care, as they are generally oblivious; wearing headphones. In fact, its more effort to lift a heavy parcel onto the floor than to just push it off the conveyor, so you can see their misplaced logic with that one.

Problem three; emphasis on a 'good job done' (as a driver) being how quick you can finish the route and help another driver OVER actually being careful with the parcels.

I think thats probably enough now to put people off posting anything for good, so I'd better stop there! :lol:
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

This is why I shall be travelling over 160 miles to pick up this baby:

Screenshot_20220717-161456_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220717-161456_eBay.jpg (179.59 KiB) Viewed 955 times

Full day on the train.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
derkom

Post by derkom »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:17 am Full day on the train.
I'm just imagining the stories the other passengers will be telling.

"Honey you won't believe what I saw on the train today. There was a guy traveling with a telly. No, a glass one. I think it was even black and white. No I haven't been drinking!"
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

derkom wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:50 am
Cosmic Puppet wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:17 am Full day on the train.
I'm just imagining the stories the other passengers will be telling.

"Honey you won't believe what I saw on the train today. There was a guy traveling with a telly. No, a glass one. I think it was even black and white. No I haven't been drinking!"
It has fake woodgrain too! :lol:
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

It's pretty amazing how even big companies can totally fail at shipping items through the post.

A few years ago when I ordered a complete exhaust, it was sent exactly like that, they literally just stuck my address on the exhaust and sent through the post!!

Unsurprisingly it arrived dented and basically unusable. I contacted the company and said they need to put bubblewrap around it or something because without any protection at all it is just madness. So they sent another exhaust out as a replacement and did exactly the same thing again, zero packaging. This one arrived less dented and just had to make use of it as it was.

Ebuyer used to ship harddrives in a jiffy bag. I purchased several of them and sent them all back because they were all malfunctioning. The amount of times I complained to them about doing that... :roll:

Then there are other companies which will strap a SSD the bottom of a huge box and send up through the post :lol: :roll: Or companies like RS If you ordered 100 resistors they would pack them all individually kinda thing :roll:

My pet hate is companies which put the items in the bottom of the box and put all the packaging on top. So basically providing the package is dropped upsidedown , it would be perfectly fine! :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “EXXOS WEBSTORE INFORMATION”