When ordering check your address!!

News and information about the exxos store. Includes common questions and answers, plus information on new items for sale or items which will be coming off sale soon etc
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

When ordering check your address!!

Post by exxos »

It is getting really bad again that people are missing off the state they are in or part of their address totally :roll: A lot of foreign addresses we don't know if they are even correct or not and several packages have bounced back here because of incomplete addresses and it is starting to cause a lot of problems. We have had three USA orders this week you have not filled out their address properly!!

While we are noticing some of these, please note it is not up to us to decipher and police if your address is correct or not! If people don't start taking more care about this, packages will bounce back here and you will be billed for the additional postage costs!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: When ordering check your address!!

Post by terriblefire »

exxos wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:52 pm While we are noticing some of these, please note it is not up to us to decipher and police if your address is correct or not! If people don't start taking more care about this, packages will bounce back here and you will be billed for the additional postage costs!
Yes I had this happen a few times. German postal service is particularly good/bad at returning things for incorrectly formatted addresses never mind things missing.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
DrF

Post by DrF »

I seem to be the only person on earth who had a lesson in school on how to format a address and a letter, no one believes me it was a thing :lol:

I noticed on USA packages over the years people were putting their phone numbers on the label, it caused all sorts of problems.

The USPS has a tool for looking up the correct address, I presume every other postal service does, but then again not really the shops job go hunting this info up.
czietz

Post by czietz »

Exxos's shop is a positive example, imho, because it allows free form input of the address. One would assume that the buyer knows best how to format their address. I hate it when shops force me to enter my address in the wrong format. E.g., some US shops insist on you filling something into the "state" field, even though the state is not part of the postal address in Germany.

Luckily though - and in absolute contrast of what was written above - German postal service has so far delivered 100% of my orders, regardless of which crazy permutation of my address the sender ultimately put on the label. :dualthumbup:
derkom

Post by derkom »

czietz wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:52 pm I hate it when shops force me to enter my address in the wrong format. E.g., some US shops insist on you filling something into the "state" field, even though the state is not part of the postal address in Germany.
I have often run into a situation where a shop forces a "county" selection from a dropdown menu after I enter my country, and it's a list of historical counties (we do not use county designations anymore, and haven't in quite a while), so I am forced to pick an old, present-day-nonexistent designation for my part of the country, and it ends up on the address label. Our postal service has never had a problem with it, but it's still rather annoying.
troed

Post by troed »

Huel have, for a long time, insisted on adding a field not mandatory or needed for Swedish addresses to the slip. When it goes through DHL's system, they for some reason think that field is the "top" name field.

I have had lengthy debates with store clerks explaining that no, my driver's license does not show "Null" to be my (full!) name.

/Troed
DrF

Post by DrF »

I was wondering with some UK addresses, mostly London this happens, you end up with a address that says London 3 or 4 times, I guess people are being forced to put something in the box regardless so just stuff London in it.

So it's like :

1 house
street,london
london,london
london
post code

Other thing I noticed is "Glasgow (city of), Glasgow" appears a lot same with "Edinburgh (city of), Edinburgh" anyone got any info on that?

I also noticed on return labels people put "house number, post code" no road, no area, no city.
So i'm wondering if that's valid, I might send a letter to myself with house number and code on see if it gets here.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I get people putting their postcode in twice in part of the address line, then in a seperate box, drives us nuts :pullhair:
DrF wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:34 am Other thing I noticed is "Glasgow (city of), Glasgow" appears a lot same with "Edinburgh (city of), Edinburgh" anyone got any info on that?
Maybe its like "stafford" being "staffordshire" kinda thing ? Some UK addresses confuse us.. Had a odd one in manchester who didn't put county, but google says its "greater manchester" but not actually manchester :stars:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Just hope that the address input doesn't have a profanity filter and you live in Scunthorpe. ;)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

DrF wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:34 am Other thing I noticed is "Glasgow (city of), Glasgow" appears a lot same with "Edinburgh (city of), Edinburgh" anyone got any info on that?
Glasgow is a county in its own right and also city. e.g. like North Lanarkshire.

My personal fav address related joke is that my parents live in (and i used to live in ) HS2 XXX.. and there is a lot of fuss in the news about HS2 costing too much :lol:
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."

Return to “EXXOS WEBSTORE INFORMATION”