1.44MB Mega STE floppy drive

News and information about the exxos store. Includes common questions and answers, plus information on new items for sale or items which will be coming off sale soon etc
Raisin54

1.44MB Mega STE floppy drive

Post by Raisin54 »

Good morning,
I would like to install a 1.44MB floppy drive on my mega STE but I can't find anything on the net for this modification.
I found this: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0227
but nothing on the installation procedure.
Has anyone done this already and could tell me where to install this chip and if there are any other modifications to be made?
Thanks in advance.
frank.lukas

Re: 1.44MB Mega STE floppy drive

Post by frank.lukas »

Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT and Atari Falcon can handle normal PC Floppy drives. You must set der Floppy to DriveSelect 0 and you have to put in a Atari AJAX Floppy Controller Chip in. The DIP switch 7 set to ON select the HD Mode ...
Raisin54

Post by Raisin54 »

OK thanks.
Does anyone on the forum sell this AJAX chip in Europe?
I saw that there were some on Ebay but the shipping costs are very high from the United States!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Raisin54 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:54 pm OK thanks.
Does anyone on the forum sell this AJAX chip in Europe?
I saw that there were some on Ebay but the shipping costs are very high from the United States!
Check first to see if you have an Ajax already rather than buying one blindly.

Also I've attached the PDFs for floppy and FPU install for the MSTE plus the GALs needed.

Should be of use to you.
Attachments
ST_GALs_N_Stuff.zip
(102.54 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “EXXOS WEBSTORE INFORMATION”