Tokin (?) 4501U1

Repairs & upgrades.
stween

Tokin (?) 4501U1

Post by stween »

I received a sight-unseen 1040 STF today, and pulled the cover off to look for obvious badness before powering up.

The PSU is new to me, and is similar to (but different from) the Tokin PSU listed on exxos's PSU page:

PXL_20220205_044059932~2.jpg
PXL_20220205_044059932~2.jpg (348.4 KiB) Viewed 2408 times

Maybe just a 110v variant? I've mostly dealt with SR98s with a plastic separator between the board and the metal frame and this one ... does not have that. :shock:

In any case, the exterior of this unit is yellowed and needs a good clean, and some of the shielding is starting to rust. But the board and the PSU are remarkably clean. With the mix of capacitors, maybe the insides of this have been fixed up and this PSU has been recapped?

Something lets out a high-pitched whine when it's running and I'm not sure what. I haven't kept it powered up for long, but it changes pitch depending on activity. A little like high frequency whining my favourite STE does on the audio channel, except it's the PSU or the machine itself that's whining; I've not wired up any audio out at the moment!
Steve

Re: Tokin (?) 4501U1

Post by Steve »

I've recapped many PSUs that exhibited a whine sound before, then after the recap the whine goes away. So that's a fairly normal sign for a PSU that needs some TLC, I wouldn't use it until it is recapped.
stween

Post by stween »

I'll drop another PSU into this before testing further. Interesting to me though; this board & PSU are so clean, and the caps look (to my inexperienced eye) pretty new, not 25+ years old!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah they can look brand new. But you know an un-used capacitor of 20 years age will be worse condition than a moderately used capacitor. They really go bad if they're just sitting. I've even heard of capacitors having a 'self healing' capacity where just powering them keeps them healthy. Not sure if that is true or not.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I don't know if you'd read the Tokin section over here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/ ... .htm#TOKIN

But it is described as, and I quote, "So far this PSU is probably the worst PSU I have come across so far. It would be possible to update the PSU, though as the capacitors are so squashed up with no margin for error, then I will probably not do any fixes for this PSU. I have not seen many of this type so I do not think it is common anyway."

Personally the few Tokin's I've encountered have generally been of a generally poor build quality compared to others, so whilst re-capping (Definitely looks like somebody already tried) is definitely a route you could take, I would make sure you have a load to test it on, because I wouldn't hook it up to an ST without doing so first. Exxos store has suitable load resistors in the store.

I'd probably replace the transistors and rectifier too if going for a rebuild.

You could consider a Meanwell RD-50A, they are really cheap.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I assume its 125v as it's quoted AC125V 2A next to the fuse. So probably why I've never seen one as machine tend to be 230v types.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stween

Post by stween »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:42 pm I don't know if you'd read the Tokin section over here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/ ... .htm#TOKIN

But it is described as, and I quote, "So far this PSU is probably the worst PSU I have come across so far. It would be possible to update the PSU, though as the capacitors are so squashed up with no margin for error, then I will probably not do any fixes for this PSU. I have not seen many of this type so I do not think it is common anyway."
Hah, late last night I power-skimmed to "Overall its a good device, good voltage and current rating" but didn't grok that this is referring to the transistor, not the overall board.
Personally the few Tokin's I've encountered have generally been of a generally poor build quality compared to others, so whilst re-capping (Definitely looks like somebody already tried) is definitely a route you could take, I would make sure you have a load to test it on, because I wouldn't hook it up to an ST without doing so first. Exxos store has suitable load resistors in the store.

I'd probably replace the transistors and rectifier too if going for a rebuild.

You could consider a Meanwell RD-50A, they are really cheap.
Yeah I can load test and I have a meanwell RD50A here also. I actually bought this as a donor machine, hence sight-unseen; I'm likely to take the mount for the PSU and get rid of the original board.

Based on the price I paid, I didn't think the machine would work at all. The case is a little dinged up and I don't trust this PSU, but at first glance the actual computer is in great nick. I'll do a proper teardown and see what it's really like in there.
stween

Post by stween »

exxos wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:36 pm I assume its 125v as its quited AC125V 2A next to the fuse. So probably why I've never seen one as machine tend to be 230v types.
yeah, this is a US machine
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:36 pm I assume its 125v as its quited AC125V 2A next to the fuse. So probably why I've never seen one as machine tend to be 230v types.
I've had a fair few STs through my hands, and only ever had one Tokin. Its PCB is in a drawer for spares :), with the PCB replaced with something better!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stween

Post by stween »

Okay, yeah; rigging the meanwell PSU takes all the noise away. The wailing was so pervasive from that old tokin supply that I didn't believe the noise was all PSU :shock:

Anyway, neat, got what seems to be a TOS 1.0 STF with red LEDs and a long-button drive. I've never had one so old before!

Return to “PSU (power supplies)”