The wrong sort of terriblefire in my CD32

Post your daily progress & upgrade woos etc here.

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Higgy

The wrong sort of terriblefire in my CD32

Post by Higgy »

After being sent the wrong XILINX USB programmer I wanted to check my TF330 was still ok, so out came the TF360 and in with the TF330.
Now I am not sure of the sequence of events (curse my short term memory!) but I am NOT suggesting it has anything to do with the TF cards. I noticed the CD drive was seeking, maybe I am used to the TF360 and its been installed for probably +1 year now, so maybe I did not give the TF330 enough time to boot.

Anyway I thought something was wrong so disconnected everything including the Kipper 2K adaptor, now it could have been that the Kipper 2K riser moved and touched the CD32 expansion connector, or its just because its old tech. I really can't remember the sequence if this happened the same time as the riser moved but there was a bang and a burning smell.

I found that U22 (audio?) had taken one for the team (replacement bottom chip):

It's dead Jim
It's dead Jim
IMG_20210625_154617.jpg (87.26 KiB) Viewed 2435 times

It did boot to the CD32 title screen with jingle, but then its been turned off until today when the replacement chip turned up. So I got that soldered in.
TF330 and TF360 seem good. I think (hope) it is just that the TF330 takes a while to boot and it was the riser that moved and shorted the Expansion Connector. U22 seems to be audio and there seems to be audio pins on the right hand side (when looking at front of CD32) so it might make sense?
Danoo

Re: The wrong sort of terriblefire in my CD32

Post by Danoo »

I have had U36 fall over on my own CD32, it is also a 4066 (bilateral switch), which switches the RGB signal to external. It did not go the terrible fire / smoke route, just the video was so dim, could only see outlines. Maybe the 4066's are reaching EOL, or these ICs have just been Commordored :lol:
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Return to “AMIGA MEMBER BLOGS”