terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: CM8833-II Just died

Post by terriblefire »

Danoo wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:41 pm Sweet, just the flyback :?:
I replaced the HOT too as a precaution.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

Certainly a good call to replace the HOT also.

Nice work!!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

So a quick note on the tools i used...

I made a discharge tool with this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09FB22F8H

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B099MJYV78

And for setting the screen and focus i found a plastic chop stick and shaved the end down to a screw driver bit so i could adjust it without having anything conductive in the monitor... particularly for this monitor as your tool needs to go past the high voltage wires while you adjust.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
FFClad

Post by FFClad »

Replacing a flyback is as easy as it is dangerous. And it is VERY easy.

When I was kid I tried to replace the one of our family TV in a fashion I could only described as "YOLO"

Of course I touched the high voltage (with the TV plugged off mercifully) and of course the discharge went through me.

It's not the buzz you get when you accidently touch 220V. It's more like getting hit by a truck. I must have released half a liter of sweat in a quarter of a second, I remember distinctly being all wet, covered in cold sweat all over.

Since then whenever I replaced a flyback on a 1083 or 1084 I never, ever dared to do the "grounded screwdriver below the suction pad" trick. I just let it sit for litteral months (as in, more than half a year) before daring to open. And I adjust the focus afterward with a long bamboo stick and a webcam, which is very clumsy and takes forever.
mgi

Post by mgi »

I replaced flyback on my Atari and simple discharge with screwdriver and cable worked superb, Thanks to good people on this forum I was able to tune it later and very happy with the result.
FFClad

Post by FFClad »

While we are on the topic, I also need to replace the flyback of my IIGS monitor (no reference number on it except "12 inch Apple IIGS color monitor", I assume the only one ever sold bundled during the IIGS short lifespan ?), I've never been able to find a replacement flyback, there isn't any label on the flyback itself.

Any tips would be appreciated
EzdineG

Post by EzdineG »

FFClad wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:29 pm While we are on the topic, I also need to replace the flyback of my IIGS monitor (no reference number on it except "12 inch Apple IIGS color monitor", I assume the only one ever sold bundled during the IIGS short lifespan ?), I've never been able to find a replacement flyback, there isn't any label on the flyback itself.

Same problem here, but with a Commodore 1701 monitor. Significantly different flyback to the 1702; it actually looks like "2" flybacks.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

FFClad wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:29 pm While we are on the topic, I also need to replace the flyback of my IIGS monitor (no reference number on it except "12 inch Apple IIGS color monitor", I assume the only one ever sold bundled during the IIGS short lifespan ?), I've never been able to find a replacement flyback, there isn't any label on the flyback itself.

I'll see i can find something
EzdineG wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:57 pm Same problem here, but with a Commodore 1701 monitor. Significantly different flyback to the 1702; it actually looks like "2" flybacks.
Managed to find CJ26107 and CJ30635. I think it is actually 2 flybacks.

https://oldcrap.org/2019/04/28/commodore-1701-monitor/
———

Return to “AMIGA HARDWARE HELP”