General hardware issues and troubleshooting etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: New open source 68000 accelerator for Amiga

Post by terriblefire »

penarthur wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:40 pm
utri007 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:06 am I'll get one for 60€.

PiStorm doesn't interest me. It boot emulator top of OS, wich takes time and has it problems. It also have a hard drive, wich is not nice for GVP.
It doesn't run an emulator if you don't want it to, and you don't have to enable hard drives either, it can be a pure 680x0 family and RAM upgrade. Also has the ability to switch trapdoor RAM to chip RAM without any jumper changing.

I have one, it's sweet for about £30
PiStorm does run an emulator. Otherwise how would it emulate a 68000 CPU? The issue with the PiStorm (for many) is that first linux has to boot on it. I can see some folk being a bit irritated by having to wait for an OS to boot before you boot your other OS.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:24 pm The issue with the PiStorm (for many) is that first linux has to boot on it. I can see some folk being a bit irritated by having to wait for an OS to boot before you boot your other OS.
I see there's been some work on running a bare metal emulator which has yielded very considerable performance benefits. I'm not sure the hassle of writing network and storage drivers to replicate some of its advanced enhanced functionality is worth it, but very impressive still.

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

To get an idea of what is possible on a Pi bare metal, the Acorn PiTubeDirect now has dp11's JITed 6502 core. It is something like 2 or 3 times faster than the previous fastest emulated core. The project now includes a VDU driver on the HDMI output of the Pi as well. So given enough effort by the PiStorm devs a blistering 68k emulation would be possible with a PiZero

https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11325
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Quite!

It was up to 12x current pistorm perfomance back in September: https://linuxjedi.co.uk/2021/09/26/this ... 021-09-26/

Edit -- here's some more background:

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark

Return to “AMIGA HARDWARE HELP”