ACSI2STM problems

IDE, ACSI etc kits and products.
BrettRogersUK

Re: ACSI2STM problems

Post by BrettRogersUK »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:42 am
BrettRogersUK wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:02 am
The pic earlier in the thread showed that the image wasn't found because it couldn't find it on the card, however it found the sd card as a mountable image because it was clean and reported the number of blocks the card had available. Otherwise it would have said that SD0 couldn't be found.
Fair enough on those points. But if you look closely at the picture, it shows this:

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 11.27.03.png

Sure, there is an error, it can't find an image and it suggests SD0 is mounted, but it seems to be mounted as read only (ro), and I don't know if that is going to be an issue or not, just mentioning it.

BTW I fixed your image with a quick 90 degree rotate, and inserted it into the post inline.

I'd suggest you send me one over. I have a myriad of machines I can test it on and it'll verify one way or the other if it works or not. I have everything from a base 520ST up to my MSTE and most things in between, and unless you know if its working or not, you'll never know if it's your STE or not.

One other thing, I presume the image your using has drivers installed, if not then you'll need the drivers before it'll work.
Yeah the only error was that it couldn't read it at the max 36MHz. If an sd card can't read at the full 36MHz it automatically reduces down until it gets a good read on it at a decent speed. That's all that is.

The read-only part was of my own doing I hadn't soldered pin B0 (PB0) of the blue pill to GND to allow it to be read write. I quickly did this as can be seen in my image above and the card is now RW.

The speed issue was bought up in the video by @Badwolf and he turned his down to 8MHz and didn't get any errors so I did the same. Experimenting with different speeds until I didn't get the CID error. 8-12 MHz seemed to work for me. (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4959)

I'll see if I can get your address from the time I sent you my board. Yes the image I'm using does have drivers. I have used it in my HATARI emulator on my computer and it works flawlessly. This is the image I'm using for my testjng of this device: https://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

BrettRogersUK wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:54 am
Yeah the only error was that it couldn't read it at the max 36MHz. If an sd card can't read at the full 36MHz it automatically reduces down until it gets a good read on it at a decent speed. That's all that is.

The read-only part was of my own doing I hadn't soldered pin B0 (PB0) of the blue pill to GND to allow it to be read write. I quickly did this as can be seen in my image above and the card is now RW.

The speed issue was bought up in the video by @Badwolf and he turned his down to 8MHz and didn't get any errors so I did the same. Experimenting with different speeds until I didn't get the CID error. 8-12 MHz seemed to work for me. (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4959)

I'll see if I can get your address from the time I sent you my board. Yes the image I'm using does have drivers. I have used it in my HATARI emulator on my computer and it works flawlessly. This is the image I'm using for my testjng of this device: https://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html
Ok, well if you can't find my address, PM me and I'll ping it over. I'm pretty sure you have my current address as it's where you sent your STE.

Whilst the chances of having 2 bad ACSI ports on 2 different STEs is very low, there is a chance still, so if I can test it on an ST, STF, STFM, STE, Mega and MSTE, and it still doesn't work, then it's likely to be a problem with the ACSI2STM.

Are you planning to use it in GEMDOS or Image mode? Or both? I just need to know so I can test both modes.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:25 pm Ok, well if you can't find my address, PM me and I'll ping it over. I'm pretty sure you have my current address as it's where you sent your STE.

Whilst the chances of having 2 bad ACSI ports on 2 different STEs is very low, there is a chance still, so if I can test it on an ST, STF, STFM, STE, Mega and MSTE, and it still doesn't work, then it's likely to be a problem with the ACSI2STM.

Are you planning to use it in GEMDOS or Image mode? Or both? I just need to know so I can test both modes.
Both really. I just need to know if it works or not. I was told by the creator of the firmware that the type of sd card used shouldn't be a problem and to not be frightened to use the modern sdhc type of micro sd cards.

Try to get hold of a Masteries one that are tested and known to be working so I can test a known working device on my system. If then that doesn't work then I know there is a problem somewhere else. (https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=40018)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

OK, well get one over to me and I'll see if it works for me.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:53 pm OK, well get one over to me and I'll see if it works for me.
@rubber_jonnie you have a PM.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

BrettRogersUK wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:34 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:53 pm OK, well get one over to me and I'll see if it works for me.
@rubber_jonnie you have a PM.
Replied :)
p0ke

Post by p0ke »

Hello,

I'm interested to know about this story until the end.
What happened next ?
Got more or less the same issue ...

thanks
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

Well the end of the story was that I had bought two fake STM32 blue boards and neither would work properly.

So In the end I purchased another two bluepill boards from America via Amazon. These turned out to be genuine boards and worked straight away. I also purchased some STM32 ICs from RS components in the UK and swapped the IC on the fake boards and they both worked after that.

Nothing much more to tell really.

Thanks,

Brett
p0ke

Post by p0ke »

okey, thank you for your answer :)

Return to “HARD DRIVES”