Recommended mods A2000 rev 6.2 with tf536

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

jcarvalho

Recommended mods A2000 rev 6.2 with tf536

Post by jcarvalho »

Hi guys,I have a 536 installed on my a2000 with 2mb chip ram, AT BUS with 16gb CF and kickstart switch bought on amibay in 2014 the switchless one with an original kick 1.3 and AM27C400-105 for kick 3.1 can't make the damned switch to work with 2 eproms. So far the only issue is the led that doesn't lit the green and the red stays only a little bit on. I saw a gadget UK video and he talked about some mods that can be done to the mobo. I asked for a link with that mod list and only got a like in my comment. Can someone point me for a full upgrade guide in order to make the tf work better with my A2000? Thanks!
Jorge
amimjf

Re: Recommended mods A2000 rev 6.2 with tf536

Post by amimjf »

Hi,

Just to be clear your problem it's with the ROM switcher right?, the TF536 and A2000 combo boots ok to workbench, runs games, etc ?

If so you saw switchless ROM, so it's probably one of these that you have to hold a key to cycle between the ROMs installed on reset.
alexh

Post by alexh »

You are using a TF536. That means you can use any ROM you like in software from your HDD using MAPROM (The 68030 MMU remaps the KSROM address to RAM containing any ROM you like).

I assume you want KS1.3 for backwards compatibility when TF536 is disabled? (Trust me you'll probably never use this configuration.)

I imagine the only physical ROM you need would be an EPROM containing a custom KS1.3 with scsi.device included so you can boot from HDD.

(Plus a good custom AmigaOS startup-sequence that can work with KS1.3 enough to initiate MAPROM on cold boot)

Realistically just put KS3.1 directly into the motherboard, install AmigaOS 3.x and don't look back.

Use WHDLoad etc. for compatibility with older games/software.
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
jcarvalho

Post by jcarvalho »

amimjf wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:07 am Hi,

Just to be clear your problem it's with the ROM switcher right?, the TF536 and A2000 combo boots ok to workbench, runs games, etc ?

If so you saw switchless ROM, so it's probably one of these that you have to hold a key to cycle between the ROMs installed on reset.
Hi Sir! The switcher is that one that you hold CTR+Amiga+Amiga for 5 seconds and it will switch and we connect a wite to the pin 18 CPU socket. With my TF536(latest firmware) and Indivision ECS mk1 it will change when we hold it for about 7 seconds (not always) . The led is messed up. The green led does not lit when in kick 1.3 (the LED is ok). The only change is that I have burn the kick 3.1 in an AM27C400-105 instead AM27C400-150 that is much more slow.
In the video of gadgetUK he talk about some mods to the mobo (some 74LS logic) I was wondering if I need to apply those mods to get my in 6.4 rev that could help. The problem is that I cant find a list of them like
replace capacitor Cxx for xxxx value
remove RPxxxx
etc.
I was jut wondering were I can find a complete list os mods to the mobo in order to work better with TF536
jcarvalho

Post by jcarvalho »

alexh wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:46 am You are using a TF536. That means you can use any ROM you like in software from your HDD using MAPROM (The 68030 MMU remaps the KSROM address to RAM containing any ROM you like).

I assume you want KS1.3 for backwards compatibility when TF536 is disabled? (Trust me you'll probably never use this configuration.)

I imagine the only physical ROM you need would be an EPROM containing a custom KS1.3 with scsi.device included so you can boot from HDD.

(Plus a good custom AmigaOS startup-sequence that can work with KS1.3 enough to initiate MAPROM on cold boot)

Realistically just put KS3.1 directly into the motherboard, install AmigaOS 3.x and don't look back.

Use WHDLoad etc. for compatibility with older games/software.
Hi Sir. I don't think that I can disable TF536. In my A2000 mobo, I had to remove the 68k from the socket and use the cpu slot with an relocator to the TF. I would like to use the kick 1.3 to boot games and demos from the gotek. Never got the whdload to work flawless with games and demos (World of Commodore is an example. Got garbage on screen if the demo runs for 30 minutes but demo keeps running and I can exit) So I thought that with a "clean" boot from kick 1.3 most issues could be eliminated (I am aware that 2MB chip RAM can cause some issues on old games) but because I am not a very good Amiga user I don't know how to do the MAPROM thing and other stuff. I only know how to install S.O. install Whdload and place files on CF (I use winuae to do that)
I just need to know if there is a list of A2000 mods (upgrade from 6.2 to 6.4 mobo) and if it will improve TF536 compatibility and general work of the system.
The kickswitch does not boot the computer with a suitable rom if i use 2 eproms. I only get black screen. I need an original chip and the other can be a EPROM. It is a no go with 2 EPROMS I dont know why but it is like that. It is a switchless kickstart switch bought on amibay that we connect a clip to the pin 18 on the cpu and hold ctrl+amiga+amiga for 5 seconds to switch. Quite an old piece of hardware
alexh

Post by alexh »

jcarvalho wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:18 am I don't think that I can disable TF536. In my A2000 mobo, I had to remove the 68k from the socket and use the cpu slot with an relocator to the TF.
I didn't know that was necessary. I thought you'd be able to disable TF536 and fall back to the original 68000. Without that ability you may have poor compatibility booting from Floppy Disk / Gotek.
jcarvalho wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:18 amI would like to use the kick 1.3 to boot games and demos from the gotek.
Without the ability to switch the TF536 68030 off and fall back to 7MHz 68000 compatibility will be poor. Even with KS1.3 and caches turned off.
jcarvalho wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:18 amNever got the whdload to work flawless with games and demos (World of Commodore is an example. Got garbage on screen if the demo runs for 30 minutes but demo keeps running and I can exit) So I thought that with a "clean" boot from kick 1.3 most issues could be eliminated (I am aware that 2MB chip RAM can cause some issues on old games)
That would be true if you could fall back to original 68000. Without that capability you'll have MUCH worse compatibility than the average amount of WHDload issues.
jcarvalho wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:18 amI am not a very good Amiga user I dont know how to do the MAPROM thing and other stuff. I only know how to install O.S. install Whdload and place files on CF (I use winuae to do that)
There is lots of information about it. You will need to install mmulib and a Kickstart ROM image (you can use anything right up to KS3.2.x) There is comprehensive information about how to install and use it included in the archive.
jcarvalho wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:18 am
The kickswitch does not boot the computer with a suitable rom if i use 2 eproms. I only get black screen. I need an original chip and the other can be a EPROM. It is a no go with 2 EPROMS I dont know why but it is like that.
It would seem to point to either one of your EPROMs is faulty. Both EPROMs work independently if used in conjunction with KS1.3 ROM?
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
jcarvalho

Post by jcarvalho »

alexh wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:24 pm
jcarvalho wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:18 am
The kickswitch does not boot the computer with a suitable rom if i use 2 eproms. I only get black screen. I need an original chip and the other can be a EPROM. It is a no go with 2 EPROMS I dont know why but it is like that.
It would seem to point to either one of your EPROMs is faulty. Both EPROMs work independently if used in conjunction with KS1.3 ROM?
Hi again. I am sure that both EPROMS are good. Here's what I do:
I burn lets say an kick 1.3 and test it alone in my A500, burn kick 3.1 and test it alone also.
Put those in the A500 kickstart switcher variant to A500 (It has a ribbon cable connected to the socket pins because of clearance issues) and no boot.
I replace the 1.3 kick for the original one and all is good. I can switch between kicks and the led works good (green for 1.3 and red for 3.1)
Maybe I need to get a more modern kikstart switcher I don't know what the issue is. I have tested with AM27c400-150 (150 ns access time) and AM27c400-105 (100 ns access time) thinking that it could be a timming issue.
But I gave up trying to figure it why, there is no hope, the creator of this device never mentioned that issue. I assumed that this would work with 2 eproms, I cant understand why not.
Could an 6.2 -> 6.4 mobo mods solve this issue? I don't know and I cant find a list of modifications to do, This is my main issue. The 900kb speed transfer from TF IDE was solved by building an AT-BUS clone and forget the internal ide connector. but I believe that the version upgrade mods of the mobo would solve some problems. The mobo was recapped with good capacitors and is rock solid. The psu is an recapped ATX psu working very well with good voltages.
The only chance is that mobo version upgrades I think
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

There is a lists of recommended fixed you can do to upgrade your motherboard, but I cannot remember anything about a fix for a kickswitcher.
Those are more for minor bus and stability issues.
Seeing the schematic there isn't a lot that can interfere with that switcher on a 6.2 board.

What kind of switcher do you have, do you have a picture of it?
How was the led connected?
jcarvalho

Post by jcarvalho »

Maximilian wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:20 pm There is a lists of recommended fixed you can do to upgrade your motherboard, but I cannot remember anything about a fix for a kickswitcher.
Those are more for minor bus and stability issues.
Seeing the schematic there isn't a lot that can interfere with that switcher on a 6.2 board.

What kind of switcher do you have, do you have a picture of it?
How was the led connected?
Hi!
I bought this

kick1.jpg
kick1.jpg (202.25 KiB) Viewed 2324 times

A500 variant

kick_a500_variant.jpg
kick_a500_variant.jpg (127.19 KiB) Viewed 2324 times

Can you please point me where i can find that list? I am searching but can't find it
matt020

Post by matt020 »

alexh wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:24 pm I didn't know that was necessary. I thought you'd be able to disable TF536 and fall back to the original 68000. Without that ability you may have poor compatibility booting from Floppy Disk / Gotek.

<cut>

That would be true if you could fall back to original 68000. Without that capability you'll have MUCH worse compatibility than the average amount of WHDload issues.

In A2000, the 68000 CPU must be removed in order for the TF536 to be installed into the CPU expansion slot. So fall-back to 68000 is not possible.

Return to “TF536”