(Atari) ST-RAM boost WIP

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Badwolf

Re: (Atari) ST-RAM boost WIP

Post by Badwolf »

ijor wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:06 pm
Badwolf wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:11 pm Ijor's suggestion is to listen for commands sent to the DMA chip and therefore deduce which address lines are being written to as the data lines are driven.
Not to the DMA chip, but to MMU. All the address registers live in MMU because none of the custom chips (besides Blitter) can drive the address bus. So MMU has to address DRAM directly from internal registers.
You're quite right, the registers for the DMA chip's actions are indeed within the MMU. I don't think that matters conceptually, but it's technically correct.

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
ijor

Post by ijor »

agranlund wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:38 am
Writes to ST-RAM cost the same as before but reads end up being super fast
You would basically be trading fast reads from screen memory to instead get fast writes to work memory so I guess it's a matter of where the bottleneck lies in each particular game. Updating the screen usually involves a ton of read-modify-writes so it's a bit of a guess really.
Btw, you can make writes to ST-RAM faster as well. You don't wait until the slow write bus cycle at ST-RAM completes, you post it (or them) and they would complete in parallel while the CPU is accessing fastram (which would happen all the time if you shadow whole RAM).

Yeah, I guess this is mostly academic, at least for the time being. Sorry about that. But I'm sure you like this kind of stuff as much as I do :)
http://github.com/ijor/fx68k 68000 cycle exact FPGA core
FX CAST Cycle Accurate Atari ST core
http://pasti.fxatari.com
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

ijor wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:48 pm Yeah, I guess this is mostly academic, at least for the time being. Sorry about that. But I'm sure you like this kind of stuff as much as I do :)
I do! :)

I'm absolutely no stranger to finding problems for interesting solutions. To be fair, most of what I've done with my Atari is just that :lol:
I do consider myself a beginner when it comes to hardware though so a lot of times I tend to gravitate toward tackling things in software since it comes easier to me.

Return to “TF536”