Things arent simple at 100Mhz

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Things arent simple at 100Mhz

Post by terriblefire »

During the development of the TF1260 Firmware rewrite I've worked hard to get 100Mhz working. But as we get closer to 100Mhz we start to hit some limits of the CPUs, CPLDs and more.

The TF1260 is broadly designed to have a ram and clock controller on one CPLD and the insanity of the 3-state machine bus translator on doing all the databus translation on the other one. By default all accesses go to the Amiga via the bus cpld unless the ram cpld spots its something it should handle and flags that to the other one. Simple eh? Well at 25Mhz it is. Still not too rough at 50mhz.. at 100Mhz its more complex... let me explain.

The sequence is something like..

1. 68060 asserts TS for 1 clock period along with address.
2. RAM CPLD decodes this address as something it needs to handle and asserts INTCYCLE (an interconnecting signal between the two).
3. BUS CPLD sees INTCYCLE and knows do stay idle.
4. RAM CPLD handles the request and asserts TA.

Still seems simple.... but look at this..
Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 01.02.06.png
Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 01.02.06.png (75.99 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
The Tpd (propagation delay) is 6ns... Which means it will take at least 12ns for the signal to get out of one CPLD to the other. Thats assuming the CPLD can decode the address instantly. You then need to meet the setup time requirements for a clock of 4ns. So we're fundamentally at roughly 20ns to decode an address and flag the other CPLD. Which is 1 clock cycle at 50Mhz... and 2 clock cycles at 100Mhz.

Add to this the fact that power consumption squares with CPU speed and that power is always dissipated as heat. I dont have graphs for what happens to the setup times for the Xilinx CPLDs as the temperature goes up but i would assume they go up as do the chances of a bitflip.

In short writing firmwares for this stuff isnt like writing a computer program. You need to understand high speed signal propagation in different frequency regimes. Its not like writing simple 68k assembler or C.

And yes i know some of this is solved in FPGA. But we get 5V to 3.3V buffering for free with these CPLDs so we are able to cost reduce the whole thing. FPGAs add their own issues. They need more power supplies, serial eproms, flashing infrastucture. All this increases cost. Oh and if you want to have enough IO pins you need 2 of them or BGA... kiss goodbye to hand soldering then.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Karl

Re: Things arent simple at 100Mhz

Post by Karl »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:21 am

The Tpd (propagation delay) is 6ns... Which means it will take at least 12ns for the signal to get out of one CPLD to the other. Thats assuming the CPLD can decode the address instantly. You then need to meet the setup time requirements for a clock of 4ns. So we're fundamentally at roughly 20ns to decode an address and flag the other CPLD. Which is 1 clock cycle at 50Mhz... and 2 clock cycles at 100Mhz.

And that's for the fastest bin...
XC95288XL.png
XC95288XL.png (87.23 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
mfro

Post by mfro »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:21 am During the development of the TF1260 Firmware rewrite I've worked hard to get 100Mhz working. But as we get closer to 100Mhz we start to hit some limits of the CPUs, CPLDs and more...
That's understood, but it's not immediately obvious to me why you're saying it's so much more difficult to code at 100 MHz than at 50?

If you can't meet timing in a single cycle, you obviously need two (or even more). So if you can't signal the second CPLD it's supposed to take over first cycle, you'll need to tell it at the next one? The CPU will wait until it sees TA assigned anyway, won't it?

If that's not possible, you supposedly hit the timing limits of your hardware and there's not much you can do anyway, but it's not necessarily more difficult to code?
And remember: Beethoven wrote his first symphony in C.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

mfro wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:54 am If that's not possible, you supposedly hit the timing limits of your hardware and there's not much you can do anyway, but it's not necessarily more difficult to code?
Because if you want to work at both frequencies you need to understand all this. Sure... you can just give up when it doesnt work but that is not the design brief. So its more difficult.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."

Return to “TF360”