TF1260 New Firmware Alpha Released!

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

atari_1975

Re: TF1260 New Firmware Alpha Released!

Post by atari_1975 »

First of all apologies, I mistyped... it is an XC68060RC50A...

As far as I know all revisions have bugs except rev6, but all of these bugs have software workarounds in the 060 library. But I am nowhere near being an expert in the 68060s...
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

atari_1975 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:04 am First of all apologies, I mistyped... it is an XC68060RC50A...

As far as I know all revisions have bugs except rev6, but all of these bugs have software workarounds in the 060 library. But I am nowhere near being an expert in the 68060s...
The behaviour you see is what people observe with the rev5. This firmware isnt 100% finished yet but it was deemed a big enough step to be worth shipping out to people for xmas.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
gdonner

Post by gdonner »

atari_1975 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:04 am First of all apologies, I mistyped... it is an XC68060RC50A...

My understanding is that revisions 4 and 6 are free of bugs (this info from Robert Miranda, ex-GVP tech support):

Rev. 4: xxG59Y - (?, EC chips are 0.42nm mfg at some point)
Bugs: None. The Rev. 4 LC and Rev. 6 full 68060 CPU masks have all known bugs resolved, and the libraries set the CPU optimally. (FPU errata is N/A). Is documented in Errata 4.0.

Rev. 6: 71E41J - (1999, engraved in 0.32µm)
Bugs: None; all errata fixed.
Karloch

Post by Karloch »

I just flashed this firmware in my TF1260 that had until now the stock firmware and I am really impressed by the massive speed improvement. I like to play with NetBSD/amiga and with this heavy duty OS the speed gain is very very noticeable. A small comparison of NetBSD bootup time until it shows the login prompt:

Stock firmware: 4 minutes 16 seconds
Alpha firmware: 2 minutes 23 seconds

Woah, that's just sweet. Thanks for the hard work!
rabidgerry

Post by rabidgerry »

My experience with the Alpha firmware has been largely similar to what Aardvark82 posted way at the at the start of this thread.

50Mhz-66.667Mhz fine
75Mhz crash reboot
78Mhz-82.5Mhz instant freeze
93.75Mhz causes graphical corruption, freezes after doing cpuspeed again.
100Mhz completely stable

However I haven't needed to overclock in a while and as of last week I can't change to any speed with out a freeze or a crash and reboot.

I used to get 100mhz stable for hours but not done that in well over a month. So been running at stock 50mhz for a good while.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be? Just using Classic WB3.1. I was using it with custom 3.1 roms with ehide.device but as a test I switched back to 3.2 roms with ehide.device so currently that is what is in my machine.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Try reseating the card. If that’s not working it might be PSU. There will be another firmware eventually.

75mhz is known not to work but we took the decision to release anyway because it gave most people a huge benefit
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
rabidgerry

Post by rabidgerry »

Ok I shall try this. My power supply is fairly new (2-3 years old) and is a Meanwell rt-50b so I'm hoping it is not that.

Well I certainly did see a huge benefit with the alpha firmware, I was able to bump up to 100mhz for Genetic Species and Duke Nukem 3D as and when I needed it and then leave it at a casual 50mhz for most other stuff. I'll be gutted if it's my CPU :cry: But I'll reseat the card and see what happens.

Thanks terriblefire
rabidgerry

Post by rabidgerry »

Alas it wasn't to be! Took the TF1260 out and re-seated it but still no joy.

I wonder what has went wrong? May be it is the power supply. Strange it worked for a couple of months fairly reliably. I have an old original Amiga power supply that still works. I might try that just to see the outcome.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

rabidgerry wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:15 pm Alas it wasn't to be! Took the TF1260 out and re-seated it but still no joy.

I wonder what has went wrong? May be it is the power supply. Strange it worked for a couple of months fairly reliably. I have an old original Amiga power supply that still works. I might try that just to see the outcome.
I'm not really sure how to help you at this point.
———
Aardvark82

Post by Aardvark82 »

rabidgerry wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:31 am However I haven't needed to overclock in a while and as of last week I can't change to any speed with out a freeze or a crash and reboot.

I used to get 100mhz stable for hours but not done that in well over a month. So been running at stock 50mhz for a good while.
Have you tried without EHIDE? For me it freezes the machine at 100mhz.

Return to “TF360”