TF1260 stuff

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

rabidgerry

Re: TF1260 stuff

Post by rabidgerry »

I was thinking of something like this. However that must be the smallest blower ever. I can only find one 1.5cm thick and to me that seems too big to fit under the keyboard. So that one in the pic most be tiny.

Naturally I have breezed past these photos already. That one does look like a comprehensive solution. I wish I knew what thickness to have the CPU heat sink at it's lowest point. It's turning into a trail and error thing. I was also considering gluing perhaps another one to this using heat conductive glue and fit it to the left side of the cpu as I think there is space for another 40x40mm sink. Just to maximize the comfort for the 060 :lol:
Aeberbach

Post by Aeberbach »

I have a Delta KSB0505HB blower here that I pulled from a MacBook. It's 9.5mm high, 5V 0.5A. They're pretty common, while looking for a data sheet to identify the wires I saw tons for sale.
rabidgerry

Post by rabidgerry »

Well that is very useful information indeed. Thanks for that. Again searching last night I only spotted 1.5mm.

Is the blower noisy? Did you have to do what Higgy suggested and run a 12v blower of the 5v rail? Also are you using the fan control or do you just have it solid blowing all the time full tilt?

Appreciate the info so thanks for that.
Aeberbach

Post by Aeberbach »

I'm afraid I have not found the cash for a 1260 so far, but thought I could share some fan info anyway. Sorry that's all I have.
rabidgerry

Post by rabidgerry »

anemo wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:36 pm Greetings!

First I would like to thank you, Stephen, for creating the TF1260. I was fortunate enough to obtain one of them "swedish clones" and I'm very pleased with it. To make it easier to fit a small fan I designed a bracket which gives you a flat surface on the right side of the Amiga. The STL can be downloaded on Thingiverse.

I fitted a small 40x40x10mm blower fan running on 7V and I was quite surprised that my rev 1 060 could run Quake for hours at 75 MHz even with the moderate airflow.

IMG_20210526_210716_800.jpg
Amazingly I found the same blower as anemo. 40mm x 40mm x 10mm. I just need to change the connector so it can run of my 12v floppy rail. Mind you I could solder some header to the TF1260 and use that to power it I guess. When it arrives I'll get modding and take some pics. I don't have the fancy bracket that anemo has but I'm sure I can fit the turbine somehow. Currently getting good results at standard 50mhz with the TF and then bumping it up to 100mhz for some FPS stuff. Seems pretty stable. Not messed with the TF ide yet though. May be at some stage I will after the modding for cooling etc
kahuna

Post by kahuna »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there any plans to enable the IDE activity LED on the TF1260.
It's kind of annoying not seeing when the CF is being accessed.

Thanks!
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

You can mod your A1200 LEDs. And if you have a new LED light board which uses 2 LEDs for each HD, FD and Power you can have 1 light for internal HD and the other for TF IDE.
I posted a topic on this mod.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

kahuna wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:21 am Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there any plans to enable the IDE activity LED on the TF1260.
It's kind of annoying not seeing when the CF is being accessed.

Thanks!
The A1200 socket doesnt have a line for this. So its not possible as a board feature.

EDIT: Another reason the Amiga 1200 sucks IMHO.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
kahuna

Post by kahuna »

Well, it wasn't that hard after all :lol:

A few weeks ago I created this custom board. It gets 5V from the LED board connector on the A1200 motherboard and the IDE activity from IDE pin 39 on the CF2IDE+ adapter connected to the IDE port of the TF1260. The original LEDs still work ;)

This is what I use as a cooling solution, in case it helps someone else.

Breaking it down:
- Heatsinks 22x22x5mm on the CPU and CPLDs.
- Double sided thermal tape and 0.5mm thermal pads.
- The thermistor going on top of the heatsinks on the CPU is part of the "AmigaKit sensors" that connects to the clock port on the motherboard. The sensor is held in place by a 3D printed thing I created.
- The fan is a 12V 45x45x10mm. It gets its power from the floppy connector. I've a splitter, so I can get power from there quite easily.

The fan is not very noisy to me, even at full speed. I ran Quake for over 2 hours with the CPU (rev.6) overclocked to 94Mhz at all times. I measured the temperature with a laser thermometer, it was around 44-46C on the CPU (don't recall about the CPLDs) with the keyboard and case in place.
If sounds noisy to you, you can use something like a "Noctua silent adapter". It works, slows down the fan, less noise... But I didn't check temperature I've got with it.

Without the fan, the difference is quite noticeable. You can feel the heat on the keyboard itself.

Hope all of this helps someone!
Ally

Post by Ally »

Great post @kahuna and thankyou for the pic of the board for fixing the hdd activity LED!
Amiga A1200, TF1230 & TF1260 owner. Thankyou TerribleFire :-)
20211017: Bought my first ST, Atari 520STfm C070859-001 Rev.2 (NOT Rev 2.0)
20220401: Bought my first STE, Atari 1040STe

Return to “TF360”