TF1230 Eprom issue

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF1230 Eprom issue

Post by terriblefire »

sparx wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:41 pm TBH, I've lost track...but I have definitely tried RC1 in last few hours, I've tried numerous firmwares from August onwards
After supper I'll jump back on RC1 just to reconfirm - thanks for the time and help!
If you are using anything except RC1 you're wasting my time. There are many many issues in previous firmwares. Use that one as I will not discuss any other firmware.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
sparx

Post by sparx »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:43 pm
sparx wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:41 pm TBH, I've lost track...but I have definitely tried RC1 in last few hours, I've tried numerous firmwares from August onwards
After supper I'll jump back on RC1 just to reconfirm - thanks for the time and help!
If you are using anything except RC1 you're wasting my time. There are many many issues in previous firmwares. Use that one as I will not discuss any other firmware.
No, not time wasting! As soon as you mentioned firmware earlier I tried all firmwares from early August onwards including RC1. The only success (slight) I had was with one I have labelled as BETA2, All others resulted in black screen bootloops or yellow flashing screen.
It was then i discovered the ram thing and checked my other card...I will go back to RC1 and post the exact results
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

sparx wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:56 pm
terriblefire wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:43 pm

No, not time wasting! As soon as you mentioned firmware earlier I tried all firmwares from early August onwards including RC1. The only success (slight) I had was with one I have labelled as BETA2, All others resulted in black screen bootloops or yellow flashing screen.
It was then i discovered the ram thing and checked my other card...I will go back to RC1 and post the exact results
There are well known issues pre RC1. Its not worth even looking at them.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
sparx

Post by sparx »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:13 pm
sparx wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:56 pm
There are well known issues pre RC1. Its not worth even looking at them.
Back on RC1...with just IDE hooked to 1200 mobo it boots and sysinfo reports 128Mb ram
With IDE hooked up to TF card it bootloops on black screen
With IDE hooked up to TF card but no CF card inserted it flashes between yellow and black

I've been thinking this through and now convinced this is not an eprom issue but ram related
The insertion of stock 3.0 roms will let my machine boot as my WorkBench is not set up for addmem so cannot see the TF 128Mb but does see the 2 IDE...
I still need to test this theory by digging out my other 1200 that has a keyboard and will allow me to adjust startup-sequence etc

This is the ram I'm using, I've used it successfully on the TF1260 but I spose that really doesn't mean much...

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... M16SB-7TCN
sparx

Post by sparx »

With 3.0 setup with addmem it will boot and see 128Mb ram provided I do not hook up the TF IDE - as soon as I do this it will no longer boot, just hangs on a black screen.

Without addmem enabled 3.0 will no longer boot with 1200 and TF IDE hooked up - this is a change n behaviour, possibly related to being on RC1.

Either way, I still believe this to be a ram issue, not sure if a fix in firmware is possible, but happy to just order replacements if anyone has a recommendation please...
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Sounds like its a CF card issue. Its been seen before. Not all CF cards will work.. Try a different brand.
———
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

sparx wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:32 am With 3.0 setup with addmem it will boot and see 128Mb ram provided I do not hook up the TF IDE - as soon as I do this it will no longer boot, just hangs on a black screen.

Without addmem enabled 3.0 will no longer boot with 1200 and TF IDE hooked up - this is a change n behaviour, possibly related to being on RC1.

Either way, I still believe this to be a ram issue, not sure if a fix in firmware is possible, but happy to just order replacements if anyone has a recommendation please...
Just jumping in here after not reading the whole topic but some CF cards and IDE adaptors will not work on the TF cards that I have, causing a black screen on Amiga or no boot on an ST. Do you have any other IDE devices to try?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
sparx

Post by sparx »

PhilC wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:38 am
sparx wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:32 am With 3.0 setup with addmem it will boot and see 128Mb ram provided I do not hook up the TF IDE - as soon as I do this it will no longer boot, just hangs on a black screen.

Just jumping in here after not reading the whole topic but some CF cards and IDE adaptors will not work on the TF cards that I have, causing a black screen on Amiga or no boot on an ST. Do you have any other IDE devices to try?
I have different adaptors, cables, cf and sd cards....tried all combos, can only get booted if i only use the 1200's IDE (It did begrudgingly boot with both IDE hooked up when on beta2 fw, but only showed 64Mb ram and guru'd before booting)

Now that both of my 1230's have 128Mb they both now have the same issue - the working card that only had 64Mb was fine until I changed the ram
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Well since the IDE interface is not electrically connected in any way to the RAM i dont think there is any correlation.

1. Do you have ehide in rom?
2. If not do you load the ehide during boot?
3. Does the system boot with the cf card in if you dont load ehide in any way.
4. If no to 3 does DiagROM boot.

If DiagROM does not boot with the CF card installed its your CF card. Even if you have 20 of them its the CF card.

EDIT: Infact i'll tell you why it happens. The CF card holds the reset line low. You can even measure it with a multimeter.
———
sparx

Post by sparx »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:44 am Well since the IDE interface is not electrically connected in any way to the RAM i dont think there is any correlation.

1. Do you have ehide in rom?
2. If not do you load the ehide during boot?
3. Does the system boot with the cf card in if you dont load ehide in any way.
4. If no to 3 does DiagROM boot.

If DiagROM does not boot with the CF card installed its your CF card. Even if you have 20 of them its the CF card.
I have ehide in devs and modified startup-sequence, I will disable it and try booting...will also see what happens with Diagrom

Thank you!

Return to “TF330”