A1200 Connector Bulk Order

TF328 - RAM + IDE CD32 Board

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: A1200 Connector Bulk Order

Post by alenppc »

Hello everyone, I have been absent for a while dealing with this order so I want to report what has been happening.
In retrospect, my decision to order these connectors turned out to be a terrible idea.

The whole process has been very frustrating and so far has cost me more than my regular monthly salary with nothing to show for. :roll:
Having ordered stuff from China before, I did not anticipate that this would turn into such a difficult transaction.

For the record, the connectors have been manufactured and shipped and have been sitting in customs for about a week now. DHL sent me a customs invoice a while ago, as they usually do, and which I paid right away, but there was no progress on the delivery.

It took a lot of back and forth between me and DHL to figure out what was happening, and according to them, I am not _allowed_ to buy 1000 pieces of something (never heard of such a thing before) unless I am a company, which I am not, obviously. So they have basically forced me to register a company with the government just to be able to receive my package AND on top of that I had to obtain an import licence. What the actual f*ck!

Anyway now that I have (unbelievably) done all that, the paperwork has been submitted and the customs will be re-assessing the value and deciding what to charge me. Even though I already paid (DHL, why submit an invoice if you can't clear it?). I am not aware of what other implications of this are going to be in terms of owning a "business" (lol) or in terms of what they are going to charge me for the import now. According to DHL, it will take 48 more hours before we know anything.

I am really hoping that at the very least they were manufactured correctly. There is also the small thing that with the cancellation of the 1260 and the fact that Edu's 8mb board is no longer open sourced, they are pretty much paper weights now.

In spite of that, I am very relieved that our friend go0se has committed to still buying his share off of me (this was supposed to be a group buy after all), although now I am starting to wonder how can I ship this so that he does not incur in the same border difficulties as I have (and consider I have no idea what triggered them for me in the first place).

SIgh... I am not blaming anyone here, it's my responsibility for entering into this, out of desire to get my hands on the rare holy grail of amiga computing, the 1200 connector.
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

Let me know the cost each and shipping to the UK when you can and I will buy as many as I can afford to.
Sounds like you've had a right nightmare here.

If goose is buying 200, maybe up that to 250 and I will pay him for the extra?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

alenppc wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:39 pm
It took a lot of back and forth between me and DHL to figure out what was happening, and according to them, I am not _allowed_ to buy 1000 pieces of something (never heard of such a thing before) unless I am a company, which I am not, obviously. So they have basically forced me to register a company with the government just to be able to receive my package AND on top of that I had to obtain an import licence. What the actual f*ck!
:WTF:

I never heard of that either. Only things I know of needing a import licence is if your shipping something "restricted" like plutonium or human hearts etc :shrug:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

PaulJ_2.0 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:45 pm Let me know the cost each and shipping to the UK when you can and I will buy as many as I can afford to.
Sounds like you've had a right nightmare here.

If goose is buying 200, maybe up that to 250 and I will pay him for the extra?
Assuming that the connectors arrive and that they are indeed manufactured correctly, I will probably end up keeping 400-500 for myself, since I have no desire of repeating this experience, and I will try to work out a way to use them, but I very much appreciate your commitment. So if I get to ship out half of them I am already happy. I just want to make sure I do it in a way that doesn't cause anybody any headaches.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Hey Alen even though i was not going to do anything for the A1200 but to help you out I will take 100 if you want, so put me down for x100 if it helps
go0se

Post by go0se »

Hi Alen,

Sorry to hear you've had so much hassle.

Look on the bright side, now you can legitimately claim to be :

"The largest importer and distributor of Amiga 1200 expansion connectors in North America" :lol:

Sounds like DHL properly stitched you up there!

Wrap mine in Christmas paper and attach a festive card to the package, no one will suspect a thing! :)
go0se

Post by go0se »

exxos wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:02 pm I never heard of that either. Only things I know of needing a import licence is if your shipping something "restricted" like plutonium or human hearts etc :shrug:
You do know that the primary source materials used in the manufacturing of A1200 expansion connectors are ground up human hearts and depleted Uranium right?? :)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

go0se wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:21 pm You do know that the primary source materials used in the manufacturing of A1200 expansion connectors are ground up human hearts and depleted Uranium right?? :)
Sounds about right for stuff manufactured in China .
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

I can increase my qty request to 100 or more as well if that helps.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

cmorley wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:00 pm I can increase my qty request to 100 or more as well if that helps.
I don't think that will be necessary, but thanks.

Return to “TF328 (OBSOLETE)”