A1200.NET Keycap Kickstarter Issues (Update Shipping?)

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

A1200.NET Keycap Kickstarter Issues (Update Shipping?)

Post by terriblefire »

Folks can you post your experiences with A1200.NET keyboard runs here. I have at least 2 confirmed cases where people who have made orders over 5 years ago are getting their comments deleted when asking about their order.

It seems they have taken money for subsequent orders of A500 keycaps without having fulfilled the previous orders. IMHO this is looking very much like a Ponzie scheme. I would start asking for money back if you've been waiting more than 2 years. I'm sure some people have had keycaps out of this scheme but others that have contacted me say they have been ripped off.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
alexh

Re: A1200.NET Keycaps a Ponzie Scheme?

Post by alexh »

If A1200.NET write anything on Facebook I do tend to post a reply, something along the lines of "Where are the Keycaps?"

I've had some replies about quality control and pandemic and the likes. All plausible.

Looking back on Facebook, I can't see them anymore. You have to go back a long way to find a post on A1200.NET facebook page with a comment from me about Keycaps.

That said he did just reply to me and sent me a link to an update from a few days ago on Indigogo.
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alexh wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:47 am If A1200.NET write anything on Facebook I do tend to post a reply, something along the lines of "Where are the Keycaps?"

I've had some replies about quality control and pandemic and the likes. All plausible.

Looking back on Facebook, I can't see them anymore. You have to go back a long way to find a post on A1200.NET facebook page with a comment from me about Keycaps.

That said he did just reply to me and sent me a link to an update from a few days ago on Indigogo.
I thought it was a kickstarter? How many campaigns have they run vs keysets delivered?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
alexh

Post by alexh »

Two AFAIK. The original 2017 Kickstarter and then the 2019 Indigogo.

He's posted the same update to both Kickstarter and Indigogo so that must mean that some people from the 2017 Kickstarter never received their keycaps.

February 2019 they posted they had shipped 400 "parcels" from Batch#1 (kickstarter).

October 2019 they posted they admitted that the quality issues in batch#1 (kickstarter) meant they couldn't ship all the orders.

I imagine no-one who backed Indigogo have had their keycaps.

They are saying in the most recent update that they are prioritising BLACK (which is ok for me cos that's what I want) so if you had any other colour than BLACK I imagine you're at the back of the queue.
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

I sort of "reviewed" these in my custom A2000 keyboard build - they were crap (1st run), and their comms are crap too. Despite all the lies they came up with in the comments section of my video, they didn't fulfil all previous orders in the 1st run (numerous people contacted me to say they never got theirs), and they didn't let people know that those 1st sets had problems either. It was conveniently too late for me to get the problems fixed apparently.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
wmsteele

Post by wmsteele »

I did get one set with a special edition CD32 A1200 case, as said above the quality was fairly poor. The biggest problem I had was the key fitting, may are only just secure, others were poorly printed. I did get a couple of replacement keys fixing print quality issues but the fitting was just as poor. Unfortunately, I’m in on both runs for 6 sets, 5 plus years on and I only have the one… so far :cry:
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

So far confirming that i've been hearing. A1200.NET is on the face of it running a scam and not delivering what they promised. Even Ponzie schemes pay out some of the time to keep people investing. I dont believe they set out to do this but that is what is has become now.

This is precisely why i've never done a large run of boards or taken preorders past a certain amount. It can and will go wrong when you are most exposed and you need to cover the cost. These guys need to refund anyone who has been waiting over 5 years.
———
dalek

Post by dalek »

Yep, we're still waiting on my keycaps from the original run :(

No sign of my A500 case either. My brother did get his A1200 case though, so they do come through sometimes.

I think they are just getting screwed over by their chinese factory and trying to cover it up which is not cool.

:imwithstupid:
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

dalek wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:45 pm I think they are just getting screwed over by their chinese factory and trying to cover it up which is not cool.
Yes. If this happened to me (and I've kinda been expecting it to) i'd have the humility to fess up and try and make things right with people. Its unclear if its fear or ego thats driving this cover up. But its time to shine some sunlight on this.
———
Aeberbach

Post by Aeberbach »

I don't know but I think the first A1200.net projects (like the A1200 case) happened when Chinese factories were eager for business and the world's supply chain was not completely screwed. Early projects succeeded. Now I suspect the manufacturing partners have either outright ripped off, abandoned for more lucrative work or otherwise let down A1200.net (one guy in Singapore from what I have read). There's an unrelated C64 keycaps project that I have been following too - it might be 3 years old at this point? The difference is I regularly get long updates about why the keys received this quarter are not good enough and the factory is going to adjust something yet again.

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”