Terriblefire Accelerators

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Terriblefire Accelerators

Post by exxos »

kludge wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am TL;DR I don’t know how it should be handled.

You getting abuse for developing affordable accelerators for Amiga/Atari is just inexcusable. People are sick. If I ever come across as making demands it’s just because I’m eager to tinker with stuff.
Indeed.

The "general public" . No idea about anything. I left a lot of Facebook groups a couple of weeks ago , I just could not deal with them any more.

It's like I would make a post about something, I write several lines explaining the thing.. The first thing someone will do is ask a question which I have already stated in the original post.. Anything more than three lines, basically forget it, nobody will read it.. Just annoys the hell out of me that people like us are doing tremendous work on development, and people just cannot be arsed to even read a few lines to answer their own question, but expect me to spend my time and spelling it out for them when I have already written the answer already. Even if I answer it, it be something else then something else then something else, then my entire day is gone. I just basically get used as a free online technical support centre. Is not like these people will ever buy anything from my store anyway, so I just don't bother anymore with groups. If they "Really" want to know something, they bloody go read up on it themselves.

Everyone has their own idea what project I should work on, they have no idea of the work and costs involved. Plus themselves want to do precisely zero work themselves in their own project, They won't even donate a few £100 to get the project started, but are happy to dump their ideas to me to do and expect me to do all the work for them.

I really could write a book on all this.. But it is just how things are now in the world in general. Anyone who is doing anything even remotely constructive will just get trolled to death no matter what or who. Its why setup this forum to try minimise all this and just keep this forum as small productive friendly place.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

.. and you’d get accused of theft if you happened to use one of the ideas dumped on you too ;)
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:21 pm .. and you’d get accused of theft if you happened to use one of the ideas dumped on you too ;)
Yeah, thats happened before as well. I mean 1,000's of people all got ideas... I got 1,000 myself.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

kludge wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am
Yeah, that’s a problem. As long as people buy cheap PCBs from you and build stuff for their own I think it might be ok-ish, but if people are making substantial money from it I think it’s problematic.
A couple of people have tried it with the 328/530. Especially the fine fellow in Poland who would get a bunch of PCBs made on DirtyPCB for $10 and then sell them individually on ebay for 50 a piece or something like that.

Then the German fellow who tried to sell assembled 328s on ebay for 270 euros a piece.

We have been able to mostly disrupt their business by offering much cheaper alternatives collectively but it's been an insane amount of work.
kludge

Post by kludge »

I really hope that you guys know that we’re many that think that you do amazing work and we really appreciate it.

And, exxos, I read the entire post ;)
A kludge is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

My lack of focus:
[ 4 * Amiga 500 ][ Amiga 500+ ][ 2 * Amiga 600 ][ A1200 ][ Amiga 2000 w/ A2386 ][ Amiga 4000/030 w/ CyberVision 64 3D, FastLane SCSI Z3 ][ CD32 ][ VIC-20 ][ 4 * C64 Breadbin ][ 5 * C64C ][ 2 * C128 ][ C128D ][ C64 DTV ][ Mac Classic ][ Mac Classic II ][ Mac Colour Classic ]
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I'm in agreement with Kludge :)

Whilst I am nowhere near to being a guru like exxos or TF, I do like to think that I can at least help people out with some of the knowledge I've accrued, but the number of times I've posted something to be helpful and people then come back and diss what you've done is incredible.

My "Gotek how to" is a good example. I ended up having to put an index at the beginning, because folks didn't bother to read the intro, then said it was a load of rubbish because they only read the part about the TTL upgrade of the firmware, then moaned that the USB version was better. So, the USB process I put after the TTL process so folks could have a choice? Are you too lazy to read past the first few posts?

Also, so many people these days seem to expect that you're their own personal Google! Drives me nuts!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Recently I was attacked (I’m a total dipsh*t) for using “low quality” SMD rather than high quality “through hole”... just one example of the type of bullying I get where people want me to change what I do so they get what they want.

Clearly the person in question didn’t have the skill to solder SMD and sought to belittle me for their own shortcomings... But the sheer amount of this type of abuse is why I’m v abrupt with people thesesays when they ask for something i didn’t want to do.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Reminds me of the "why not do this" type discussions which I have a hundred timer with people in the past.

Like I posted before, people say why don't I do a 030 booster, or a 060 booster... I just say now, why don't I put a 4GHz quad core on there instead ?

I do 68000 stuff, and will continue to do this as it is most compatible way of doing things, It's what I want to do, and I am going to do it regardless of what anyone says, its my project not theirs. They either support it or not. I will ultimately do a 020, but in my own god damn time when I am happy I have pushed the 68000 to the limits and there is nothing else to do.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Yup. Another on I get all the time is why the Tf530 only has 2mb of fastram...

The original design idea didn’t have ram at all.. I just happened to have a little space when I was done and decided to throw on a tiny bit of ram to see what would happen. To see if it would even work.
———
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Yeah, people are generally not involved with the design of things, so when they come later and start suggesting things when the project is done...

Similar when you do try and involve people in the project, just ends up with a 100 possible outcomes for the project which nobody can agree on.

I try and involve people in some projects and take on board what they say. Such as someone suggested fitting the RTC to my new motherboard, so that is actually a good suggestion and easy to do. But then someone would come along and say why don't I fit a 060 to the new motherboard.. And I just basically want to strangle them.

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”