Sandord - progress

Where Alpha builders can post pics and progress etc
sandord

Sandord - progress

Post by sandord »

I. Can't. Believe. My. Eyes!

I ordered this package on monday and today (thursday) it's already here (The Netherlands)! Now I'm sure the postage company has upgraded their boats to hovercrafts :D

1.jpg
1.jpg (140.05 KiB) Viewed 6296 times

And there it is!

2.jpg
2.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 6296 times

I still have to do the following things before I can start:
- order parts
- desolder stuff from my donor ST
- take a deep breath

I'm really excited though! :yay2:
TheNameOfTheGame

Re: Sandord - progress

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

That was fast! Congrats on getting your project going! :dualthumbup:
sandord

Post by sandord »

TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:01 pm That was fast!
My current theory is that the wind must have been blowing eastward during transit really hard.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

sandord wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:04 pm
TheNameOfTheGame wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:01 pm That was fast!
My current theory is that the wind must have been blowing eastward during transit really hard.
Yes, I can second that! The wind definitely blows eastward, and in France the wind is @ hurricane levels! The wind is so bad in France I've quit ordering from there. Even though the winds in GB blow eastward there not that intense.
sandord

Post by sandord »

I'm using my Silly Style STF (C070523-001 REV.D) for parts, since it has really bad video anyway (and I fried the ROMS a while ago :lol:).
sandord

Post by sandord »

Desoldering is HARD.

I'm practicing by removing passive components first. So far I desoldered:

- 13 pin DIN monitor connector
- DB19 ACSI Port
- Reset switch
- DMA Socket

I'm worried about the moment when I have to start desoldering chips. If I look at how long I have to heat a lead before all the solder is sucked into the wick, I'm afraid I'll fry the chips. Then, the remake won't run and I'll probably spend ages before I figure out there's a broken chip causing it.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

sandord wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:00 pm Desoldering is HARD.

I'm practicing by removing passive components first. So far I desoldered:

- 13 pin DIN monitor connector
- DB19 ACSI Port
- Reset switch
- DMA Socket

I'm worried about the moment when I have to start desoldering chips. If I look at how long I have to heat a lead before all the solder is sucked into the wick, I'm afraid I'll fry the chips. Then, the remake won't run and I'll probably spend ages before I figure out there's a broken chip causing it.
I used a desolder pump to suck the solder away from each chip leg and hole when removing from my donor board. The pump I used has a silicone nozzle so you can put it right over the iron, leg and hole making a seal to get as much out as possible.

Unfortunately looks like its more than doubled in price from when I got mine - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MJMXD4
sandord

Post by sandord »

Icky wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 pm I used a desolder pump to suck the solder away from each chip leg and hole when removing from my donor board. The pump I used has a silicone nozzle so you can put it right over the iron, leg and hole making a seal to get as much out as possible.
That's what I started out with. Altough I think my pump is of rather bad quality, I think. The first 10 legs or so of the DMA socket worked perfectly, and then suddenly... nothing. I mean, only small amounts of solder would be sucked, not the entirity of it. I cleaned the sucker, didn't help. I had exectly the same problem a year or two ago with another sucker.

s-l640.jpg
s-l640.jpg (11.4 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
I think I'm going to try to press the sucker nozzle more firmly against the lead, perhaps that'll help.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

sandord wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:16 pm That's what I started out with. Altough I think my pump is of rather bad quality, I think. The first 10 legs or so of the DMA socket worked perfectly, and then suddenly... nothing. I mean, only small amounts of solder would be sucked, not the entirity of it. I cleaned the sucker, didn't help. I had exectly the same problem a year or two ago with another sucker.

I think I'm going to try to press the sucker nozzle more firmly against the lead, perhaps that'll help.
Sometimes desolder pumps get gunked up.

Open it up by unscrewing the bottom nozzle and the top part where the button is as well. Careful as the spring will push out.

Clean it all out and put some oil round the o-ring seal of the pump part inside. It should then get its suck back :D
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

You can check the solder sucker by putting it on your finger and then activating it. You should feel the suction.

Typically I've found that the o ring on the front is a weak point and its likely here that you are losing suction. Obviously the plunger has to be clean and in good condition as well.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”