STFM case remake

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: STFM case remake

Post by exxos »

Maeke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 am Agreed. As for the printer did you see the printtable sl? https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/just ... ack-tables

can be adapted to our needs.
Yeah I have seen those Ikea tables used before. If I was building another printer I would probably use them.

Problem mostly is physical size of the Atari case, its larger than A3. I could probably find a kit or adapt, but after 2 years I still not had much time to finish my current 3D printer :( Even so, I think a professional printer would give a better print.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
troed

Post by troed »

FWIW I have a ~€2000 3D printer and I would not be terribly happy with the output quality for a case. It would need a lot of sanding down to get to an acceptable surface.

I've thought about splitting an STL and printing parts to glue together. Would be a lot of glue.

/Troed
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

exxos wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 am
Maeke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 am Agreed. As for the printer did you see the printtable sl? https://www.3dhubs.com/talk/thread/just ... ack-tables

can be adapted to our needs.
Yeah I have seen those Ikea tables used before. If I was building another printer I would probably use them.

Problem mostly is physical size of the Atari case, its larger than A3. I could probably find a kit or adapt, but after 2 years I still not had much time to finish my current 3D printer :( Even so, I think a professional printer would give a better print.
Of course a professional printer will give better prints, if used, calibrated and maintained correctly, still it will be too costly for most users.
Besides, here the ikea table isn't an enclosure, it's actually the printer itself.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

@Troed, try acetone. Put some on a paper towel and wipe the print with it.
You might need some sanding before but not as much as you'd think, specially if you print with ABS.
Rodolphe
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

rpineau wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm @Troed, try acetone. Put some on a paper towel and wipe the print with it.
You might need some sanding before but not as much as you'd think, specially if you print with ABS.
Rodolphe
Acetone only really works with ABS which is one of the most difficult to print, especially large pieces due to warping.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

True.
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
Gunstick

Post by Gunstick »

Best 3D print for such big objects with overhang and holes is a powder based printer.
Or a stereolithography printer.

But using those files as a base for 3D printing is a good idea, as customizing is easy. You could engrave our name on the case or other crazy things, like better accessible joystick/mouse ports. A second floppy on the right side. SD card slot.

Another even sillier idea is to buy one of those Amiga cases and fit an ST motherboard in :twisted:
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Gunstick wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am Another even sillier idea is to buy one of those Amiga cases and fit an ST motherboard in :twisted:
I am sure, this will instantly collapse and form a black hole ;)
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

IngoQ wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am
Gunstick wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am Another even sillier idea is to buy one of those Amiga cases and fit an ST motherboard in :twisted:
I am sure, this will instantly collapse and form a black hole ;)
One of the size of the universe.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Nothing much to say here, but I just watch one of Dave Jones videos...

What caught my attention was the prototype multimeter case, he said was 3-D printed. It looks very good quality that came off the printer just like that.. But this does make me think that there should be high quality 3-D printers which should be able to do a similar quality job on Atari cases.. I guess I could email Dave and ask...

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “3D MODELS”