Custom image converter needed

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

mrbombermillzy

Custom image converter needed

Post by mrbombermillzy »

I really don't have the time or inclination at this point to code an image processing utility, but I really need something that will process an odd image mode.

I'm looking for an image utility/digital processing app, on the Atari/Amiga/PC/whatever that can convert and save images (ideally BMP, but I can cope with whatever else) in 320x200x16bpp with a 16 colour screen display amount.

I've just started the daunting hunt, and have tried various tools so far (Windows: Gimp/XnConvert/Photoshop CS/Paint Atari: Vision) but to no avail. MS Paint will actually save a 16bpp picture as a BMP in 16 colours, but there is absolutely NO colour reduction processing other than literally chopping the top x amount of colours from the palette and hence useless for reasonable looking pictures.

The closest I got was with Anima's colour conversion browser utility. Unfortunately, it applies a more standard setup than what's needed here (i.e. STe 12bpp/16cols or STFM 9bpp/16cols) and also applies a temporal dither. Its an amazing tool, but not for this use case.

Perhaps there was an earlier game console that had this high colour palette, low colour screen display amount combination with some software to support the conversion?

Or is there an image processing app that has a flexible colour reduction option?

Can anyone save me lots of time trawling and testing?

Thanks in advance. :D
stephen_usher

Re: Custom image converter needed

Post by stephen_usher »

Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
mrbombermillzy

Re: Custom image converter needed

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:02 pm Can ImageMagick do it? https://imagemagick.org/script/convert.php
Well that seems to do the trick! (Excuse the pun :lol: )

Thank you Stephen :D

Return to “SOFTWARE”