The strange case of the Commodore 64 colour bands.

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
stephen_usher

Re: The strange case of the Commodore 64 colour bands.

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, if this ( https://github.com/c0pperdragon/C64-Vid ... nalog_only ) board doesn't work then doing any other conversion wouldn't as the signal from the VIC-II would be bad.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Just checking, I have lost track a bit, but does yours have a 74LS193 for the colour clock at U30? If so what was the output like, did it work ok with the new crystal?

Also, what does the power supply to the modulator look like? It says 9v unregulated on the schematic, is it ok?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

@stephen_usher I agree. I was thinking more along the lines of 'while the board is out on the testbench, get it done' type of thing.

Would be interested to see the signal quality with the conversion done.

EDIT: I've got a Amiga DCTV composite to RGB converter and the output on a 1084 is pretty good.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:12 pm Just checking, I have lost track a bit, but does yours have a 74LS193 for the colour clock at U30? If so what was the output like, did it work ok with the new crystal?

Also, what does the power supply to the modulator look like? It says 9v unregulated on the schematic, is it ok?
Yes, it's the version with the 74LS193. The output of that clock looks fine. The 9V is fine too.

I was wondering about replacing the LM75xx regulators with buck converters, which would reduce heat, but I'm not sure how much that might help things over all.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:31 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:12 pm Just checking, I have lost track a bit, but does yours have a 74LS193 for the colour clock at U30? If so what was the output like, did it work ok with the new crystal?

Yes, it's the version with the 74LS193. The output of that clock looks fine. The 9V is fine too.

I was wondering about replacing the LM75xx regulators with buck converters, which would reduce heat, but I'm not sure how much that might help things over all.
I can't imagine the regulators getting warm would do it, like you say there is just so little between the VIC-II and the modulator, just ferrite beads, so surely it must be the modulator that's the issue.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It was interesting that changing the crystal and capacitor helped decrease the colouration for a short time though. Very strange.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:56 pm It was interesting that changing the crystal and capacitor helped decrease the colouration for a short time though. Very strange.
Yeah, it's been a bit of a peculiar issue this one. Out of curiosity, are the ferrite beads damaged at all?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, that's interesting. It's actually made it worse!

The colour banding is still there and it's over sharpened and the interlaced lines no-longer line up. I'm going to have to put the modulator back and think about what to replace... probably the 74LS chips in the clock circuit.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:22 pm Well, that's interesting. It's actually made it worse!

The colour banding is still there and it's over sharpened and the interlaced lines no-longer line up. I'm going to have to put the modulator back and think about what to replace... probably the 74LS chips in the clock circuit.
74LS replacement is always something easy to do, definitely worth a try.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The beads are pristine. I'll have a look at the circuit to see which chips to replace.

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”