The strange case of the Commodore 64 colour bands.

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
stephen_usher

Re: The strange case of the Commodore 64 colour bands.

Post by stephen_usher »

Yep. So much for "Next working day delivery."
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:05 pm Yep. So much for "Next working day delivery."
Bloody liars!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

What motherboard revision is your machine?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

250407 rev. 1 I think.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, I recovered the new capacitors from work after getting home from Cornwall.

Testing them with the multimeter shows that the meter is only slightly out when measuring in the picoFarad range, about 1pF. This shows that the original capacitor was ~15pF, which actually tallys with the markings. The schematic shows 10pF.

Anyway, I've swapped the caps and now I can't adjust the clock to precisely the correct rate, it's slightly too high. However, the display does seem slightly sharper. Unfortunately it's not helped with the colour banding, so I've ordered an R3 VIC-II chip from Retroleum and we'll see what happens with that.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I don't know if you saw my thread here https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=44&t=701 granted 2600 but I went to great lengths to solve svideo issues. While I got some improvement , my TV wasn't great either, but ultimately I gave up. But was lucky someone did a RGB kit.. So not sure if there is one for the C64 or not.

I haven't read the whole thread. But assuming those 15pf caps are on the video lines., you can use higher values. But while it reduces noise, you get more blur the higher you go. A lot just seemed to be interference . So tinfoil screening everywhere might help... Even a wire to the osc case to 0v helped on the 2600.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

On the C64 the VIC-II chip does everything, including all system clock generation and outputs the luma/chroma signal directly. From the look of things the chaos signal’s clock is varying across the scan line meaning that the PAL colours regularly swing from a magenta tint to a cyan tint and back again.

The capacitor I swapped is the one which resonates with the main clock crystal. I changed it as according to the Tektronix ‘scope the clock signal’s frequency was varying by -1%/+10% which I thought might be a harmonic caused by the oscillation circuit being out of tune. The schematic says that the crystal had to be paired with a 10pF +=5% ceramic capacitor but the original was reading far higher than this. (After using the new caps to calibrate the multimeter’s reading, the old cap was 16pF but is marked as 15pF.)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

So the caps didn't help, but at least you've been able to secure a new VIC II, fingers crossed it's like the VIC in my VIC-20 and marginal and replacing it will resolve the problem.

Out of curiosity, do you have any freeze spray you could use to cool the VIC-II down? Be interesting to see if it's a thermal issue.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Temperature doesn't seem to make any difference.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:48 am Temperature doesn't seem to make any difference.
Fair enough.

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”