Uh Oh.Electron inbound

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
mrbombermillzy

Re: Uh Oh.Electron inbound

Post by mrbombermillzy »

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:06 pm Was it full version with a box and instuctions? If yes then £10 is reasonable.
PLEASE!! I found it hard enough! :lol: There was also a copy of PSS Battle of Midway for the C64 (I like strategy wargames BTW) which I am not sure I should have left.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:06 pm So, the wallet was safe today, but what about tomorrow????
Out of sight, out of mind. (It's too far; about £10 fuel there/back, I may as well purchase from Ebay now!) :)

Also, one minor point to mention; my elk was purchased ~5 years ago, without a PSU. I have no idea if it actually works. (19v AC PSU IIRC?? Don't have one of them for it. But that's a tale for another day.)
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

Might be worth grabbing that copy of Elite, they seem to go for silly money online. EDIT, and maybe I should read posts more closely :D
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:13 pm
stephen_usher wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:06 pm So, the wallet was safe today, but what about tomorrow????
Out of sight, out of mind. (Its too far; about £10 fuel there/back, I may as well purchase from Ebay now!) :)

Also, one minor point to mention; my elk was purchased ~5 years ago, without a PSU. I have no idea if it actually works. (19v AC PSU IIRC?? Don't have one of them for it. But that's a tale for another day.)
Some laptop chargers work well as a ELK PSU.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:13 pm
Out of sight, out of mind. (Its too far; about £10 fuel there/back, I may as well purchase from Ebay now!) :)

Also, one minor point to mention; my elk was purchased ~5 years ago, without a PSU. I have no idea if it actually works. (19v AC PSU IIRC?? Dont have one of them for it. But thats a tale for another day.)
I wonder if it'd work with a cheap 18V DC supply. Probably the first thing it does is rectify to DC through some large diodes, dropping the voltage as well as rectifying. This is what the Apricot monitor power port does. The screen actually just uses 12V internally.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I'll bet you'll keep going back until you finally fold....

I know the signs :)

I'm bloody lucky to be able to get most of the stuff I want, I have got an agreed gadget budget with the wife, but since I got a promotion and pay rise it has been extended.

I might be pushing my luck buying too many more machines though, but need a Dragon 32 and I'd like an older TRS-80 :)

Most of this stuff is machines I had or encountered during my childhood, so I have some good memories. The Apple ][ in particular, my friends and I spent most lunchtimes up playing with that at school, wrote some nice BASIC stuff too :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:24 pm I wonder if it'd work with a cheap 18V DC supply. Probably the first thing it does is rectify to DC through some large diodes, dropping the voltage as well as rectifying. This is what the Apricot monitor power port does. The screen actually just uses 12V internally.
I had the very same idea. I was going to see if I could feed around 16VDC and see if it played ball.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:51 pm I'll bet you'll keep going back until you finally fold....

I know the signs :)

I'm bloody lucky to be able to get most of the stuff I want, I have got an agreed gadget budget with the wife, but since I got a promotion and pay rise it has been extended.

I might be pushing my luck buying too many more machines though, but need a Dragon 32 and I'd like an older TRS-80 :)

Most of this stuff is machines I had or encountered during my childhood, so I have some good memories. The Apple ][ in particular, my friends and I spent most lunchtimes up playing with that at school, wrote some nice BASIC stuff too :)
Heh. No, unfortunately, I don't have either the time or money these days.

Most of my gear was either bought through judicious ebay auctions or back in the 'golden age' of car boot sales. Where one could pick up some real bargain retro stuff.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:41 pm
Most of my gear was either bought through judicious ebay auctions or back in the 'golden age' of car boot sales. Where one could pick up some real bargain retro stuff.
In all honesty, a lot of mine was too, certainly bought before these times of ridiculous prices!! I think my SGI Octanes only cost £25 each. I got STEs for £10, and I don't think I paid more than £60 for a Mega ST. I had some stuff donated too, like the Atmos, an ST and some other bits and bobs.

Not so cheap these days, and I still like a bargain :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

Electron will work with DC PSU.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”