Using HDDriver 10.14 to Create Eight Partitions (First One Bootable) on a 4GB SD Card

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: troed

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using HDDriver 10.14 to Create Eight Partitions (First One Bootable) on a 4GB SD Card

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:47 pm Hmm, I thought I'd done a guide for this already, but yes, you need to set up the partitions for TOS & Window at the same time, which is done through the HDDRIVER config tool. you don't need a FAT32 partition, you just need to format it right on the ST.

As @exxos said, just go for all 256MB partitions with HDDRIVER and don't forget with V11 you can use Blitter acceleration too.
I thought there was a guide somewhere as well, but couldn't find it. Think the CF card needs formatting as "FAT"... ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using HDDriver 10.14 to Create Eight Partitions (First One Bootable) on a 4GB SD Card

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Actually I just checked my Mega 4 which has a CF card and the partition sizes, including C: are about 512MB with HDDRIVER 11, but I am using TOS 2.06 in both the Mega 4 and the MSTE which has a CosmosEx and SD card.

When you select the drive to partition, there is a compatibility button in there that allows you to use TOS and Windows compatibility together so the cards can be used under either TOS or Windows.

I didn't tick the byte swap option and it worked just fine. Experiment a bit see what you get. I would advise that you wipe the SD or CF card beforehand, it just works a bit better. I usually do this using diskpart under windows and the clean command.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Ok, so thanks to all for their help...I managed to get it working!

:yay: :yay2: :cheer: :cheers:

I wiped the CF card as @rubber_jonnie suggested, then popped it into the ST, booted from floppy & configured the whole CF card as a single partition (Windows + TOS compatible but no byte swap), rebooted, then installed HD Driver on the CF card & all is working...I can transfer files via the CF card between PC and ST just as advertised!

Really cool!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:17 pm Ok, so thanks to all for their help...I managed to get it working!

:yay: :yay2: :cheer: :cheers:

I wiped the CF card as @rubber_jonnie suggested, then popped it into the ST, booted from floppy & configured the whole CF card as a single partition (Windows + TOS compatible but no byte swap), rebooted, then installed HD Driver on the CF card & all is working...I can transfer files via the CF card between PC and ST just as advertised!

Really cool!
Splendid :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING & DISCUSSION”