Using Pure C from floppy

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: troed

SEGFAULT

Using Pure C from floppy

Post by SEGFAULT »

Hi, I just downloaded the Pure C distrobution, and realised that when unzipped its 2.3MB.

I am new to the world of Atari ST, so don't have a drive up and running yet. Is there any way to strip the distrubution down to a size where it will fit on a 720K floppy but still actually be usable?

If not can anyone reccomend a C compiler package that would work from floppy, or is cramming a CC into 720K just too much to ask?

- Segfault
stephen_usher

Re: Using Pure C from floppy

Post by stephen_usher »

The ancient Sozobon C could work from a floppy.

I used it in the late 80s before I got a hard disk. You'll need a command line shell program, I used Gulam myself as it also have a built in version of microEMACS.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
JezC

Post by JezC »

Another option might be to use a Gotek floppy replacement - there's a topic on the forum about using extended disc formats (= bigger capacity) with one, so that might also widen your options.

I'm on my phone but will try to find that topic & link to it later today.

EDIT:
So, while waiting for the rain to clear off before walking the dog, I found the following:
https://exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... =13&t=4739

That suggests you can fit up to 2.5Mb on a DD floppy image for the Gotek, so enough for the full Pure C experience!
thorsten.otto

Post by thorsten.otto »

SEGFAULT wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:09 am Is there any way to strip the distrubution down to a size where it will fit on a 720K floppy but still actually be usable?
That might be possible, but it won't leave much room for your own files. All you need is PC.PRG, the LIB directory, and the include directory. You can omit all those *.hlp files (but then of course no context help is available), and all the *.ttp, except maybe for PASM.TTP if you also have assembler sources. If you don't need floating point, you can also omit the pcfltlib.lib & pc881lib.lib. Altogether that should be ~550k if i didn't miss anything.

But of course, development on a floppy drive won't be much fun, regardless which compiler you choose.
SEGFAULT

Post by SEGFAULT »

Thanks everyone, looks like I need to invest in a ACSI to SD adapter.

Return to “SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING & DISCUSSION”