Finding a power rail short with a low ohmic meter

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Finding a power rail short with a low ohmic meter

Post by exxos »

Here is a quick lesson in fault finding a power rail short A low resistance meter.

First up, a proper low resistance meter..

IMG_5052.JPG
IMG_5052.JPG (375.08 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

Basically what we do is check the resistance across various capacitors around the board and look at the resistances.

I started at the bottom right corner of the board working my way up with and to the left taking note of the resistance. Which is 84.2mR.

IMG_5057.JPG
IMG_5057.JPG (326.59 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

Moving upwards on the board you can notice the resistance gets slower, so we are getting closer to the short! Now 35.9mR!

IMG_5056.JPG
IMG_5056.JPG (397.91 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

Now I can only move to the left. So moving along one by one the resistance got lower and lower until there was nowhere else to go...

IMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5055.JPG (419.7 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

This is the lowest resistance point on the whole board on the power rail at 11.3mR.

So checking what capacitor that is on the PCB files...

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (78.9 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

..And yes this was a PCB oopies the problem.

I have diagnosed failed ceramic capacitors on motherboards this way as well.

IMG_5124.JPG
IMG_5124.JPG (286.16 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

Overall a low resistance meter is a very useful piece of kit when you have something short circuit on the motherboard. Like on the power rails and have no idea where short actually is.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
UnderTheRain

Re: Finding a power rail short with a low ohmic meter

Post by UnderTheRain »

There's a good video on YouTube an TV repair engineer shows you how to fix a TV doing this and then he showed you how to build your own meter.

He gets the circuit from an old electronics mag it works really well

Brian
UnderTheRain

Re: Finding a power rail short with a low ohmic meter

Post by UnderTheRain »

Oh I forgot another way way is to use a flir usually your short gets very hot very fast I use the flir on my phone for exactly this. I got this phone specifically for the flir.

Utr

Return to “ELECTRONICS”