Are these scope readings healthy? TT issues

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
Steve

Re: Are these scope readings healthy? TT issues

Post by Steve »

Ok guys! I might also check the VCC of each major chip to see if there are any voltage supply issues.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Checking voltage is always good, and this is where bench PSUs are dead handy as you can match output to the original PSU and see what the current draw is, though of course you could check current with a multimeter.

How 'stock' is the machine? Is it feasible to strip any add ins out and just work on the basic TT, then add things in to see where it all goes wrong?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Steve

Post by Steve »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:01 pm Checking voltage is always good, and this is where bench PSUs are dead handy as you can match output to the original PSU and see what the current draw is, though of course you could check current with a multimeter.

How 'stock' is the machine? Is it feasible to strip any add ins out and just work on the basic TT, then add things in to see where it all goes wrong?
Yes at the moment I have stripped absolutely everything and returned all SIPS to the original 10k (in sockets) I am currently investigating the MC68902 chip(s) (there are two of them) as it handles all the IRQs for SCSI and DMA. MFP/DMAC. So far I am confused as the scope does not show a constant 5v on VCC (pin 12 according to schematics but maybe this is wrong, I'll get the datasheet for the chip next)

EDIT ok yeah the TT schematic is showing the pins for the DIL package but mine is PLCC so was scoping the wrong place. Voltage is fine. Will check address lines next.

Return to “ELECTRONICS”