Hantek 4032L Logic Analyser

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
Badwolf

Hantek 4032L Logic Analyser

Post by Badwolf »

I picked up one of the above on eBay as the stats looked decent and I needed something capable of doing 16 channels at over 100MHz. But I'm not getting on with it.

https://www.hantek.eu/la-4032l.html

The software is the problem, I think. It's bloody awful. There only seems to be a Windows version, it seems unreliable, requiring a restart of the software (losing the settings) and a reconnection/reboot of the analyser and it's slower than molasses with no real-time view (I'm spoiled by Logic2, perhaps).

Has anyone had any experience with these? Is there any mitigation to be seen? Is there any alternative software, perhaps? I've been trying to use PuleView, but I never got on with that before either and the current version is hanging on my Mac.

Appreciate any feedback. It might find its way back to eBay if I'm not missing something obvious.

Cheers,

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
olivier.jan

Re: Hantek 4032L Logic Analyser

Post by olivier.jan »

Not helping, but if you search for a replacement, I’ve been using a DSLogic for a few years now, it’s cheaper, works well and software is available on macOS.
It seems a bit difficult to source at the moment though and ha Sony 16 channels, but can go up to 400Mhz (works OK at 100, never tried above).
Here is a link: https://www.banggood.com/DSLogic-Plus-L ... bhEALw_wcB
Retro stuff
520 STF/ 1040 STE / Mega ST / 2 Mega STE / 2 H5
2 x 600XL with U1MB /SOFIA 2/ AVG CART / and a few 1050
Apple //c, Commodore 128, Mac Classic, SE/30, LC, IIvi and PB G3 (Clamshell)
Amiga 600 and a few 486 and 386.
Many Nintendo G&W and other electronic games from the late 70s/early 80s.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I have the Hantek USB oscilloscope, and didn't get on with that as the software was terrible too.

However I know there are alternatives for the 'scope software, so it might be worth looking for alternatives for your LA.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Unfortunately, from my experience USB logic analysers are tied to the software they come with as the software often uploaded the firmware when it starts up.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
DoG

Post by DoG »

You can use Sigrok with it.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Again not helping.. But is it really 100mhz ? When I was looking at usb stuff they couldn't even cope with 10mhz. I struggled and spent a fortune on opensniffers and the like, they died. The software had like 20 versions which were forever crashing and losing my channel labels. I gave up in the end :( I just don't have time to mess about with it all.

For me, LA's are generally just not as accurate as a scope. A couple ns "off" here and there.. No thanks. I struggle with my 2 channel scope like I've always done. A LA would be nice for some work, but I would go for a 4 channel scope if I was to buy something. Just can't justify the cost for the usage really. Most of my problems are fighting noise, so a single channel is normally good enough. A LA I don't think would be happy with huge under / overshoots and you end up missing key information, or it goes nuts and gives false data :roll:

I think the LA tank @terriblefire uses is the better option over the toys of today.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I must admit the cheapie 16 channel one I picked up for about £30 did actually work well enough so that I could diagnose the issue I was having with the Apricot RAM board (random extra one bit transitions), so they're not useless.

However, I wanted more than 16 channels and wanted to connect the other 8 channel one, but as it was from a different manufacturer I couldn't as each one required that company's software so as to work at all.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:53 pm However I know there are alternatives for the 'scope software, so it might be worth looking for alternatives for your LA.
DoG wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:59 pm You can use Sigrok with it.
Yeah, that's the PulseView software I mentioned. It's also truly awful, but in a different way.

I've managed thus far with the cheapie Salae clone that Stephen Usher mentions and I saw RJ was using, but it can only do three channels at 100MHz as it passes all its data down USB 2 in real time. The software, OTOH, is excellent.

In retrospect, perhaps that software responsiveness is a byproduct of the realtime USB limitation, so it may be an inevitable trade off.

At the moment I'm chasing an issue that happens on the order of tenths of a second after I do something on the screen. Could be 5 tenths, could be 20. This Hantek will happily record a few milliseconds at at 160MHz then spend the next 10 seconds displaying it to me. Not much use unless I can set a trigger for the issue. Since I don't actually know what it is, I can't!

The cheapie Salae clone could maybe do eight channels at 32MHz. Probably enough for what I'm trying to do now, unless the problem is with my RAM, which runs at 66MHz.

I'm currently trying to monitor 18 channels* at 120MHz. It probably is a bit of an ask.

BW

* 18 because I don't really know what the problem is yet to focus down and those are my main control channels.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:18 pm Again not helping.. But is it really 100mhz ? When I was looking at usb stuff they couldn't even cope with 10mhz. I struggled and spent a fortune on opensniffers and the like, they died. The software had like 20 versions which were forever crashing and losing my channel labels. I gave up in the end :( I just don't have time to mess about with it all.
This one's store-and-forward rather than pipe-down-USB, so probably can handle the rate, although the software (and the box) locks up if I ask it for a useful number of samples.

I did manage to do the whole DFB1 dev with a cheap-arsed Salae clone. That was pipe down USB and so as channels in use goes up, sample rate goes down. It could do 3 channels at 100MHz. I'm running at 66MHz now, so that won't cut the mustard any more.

LAs aren't scopes and don't try to be. Different tools for different jobs. The scope is a coping saw. The logic analyser is a 8tpi 500mm hand saw. You wouldn't want to only have the one! ;)

BW
microman

Post by microman »

Try looking at the SigroK Pulseview software it runs on a number of platforms and supports both scopes and logic analysers.

https://sigrok.org/wiki/PulseView
https://sigrok.org/wiki/Linux#PulseView

Peter

Return to “ELECTRONICS”