My (attempted) PiSTorm STacy installation

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Steve

Re: My (attempted) PiSTorm STacy installation

Post by Steve »

Eventually when you get around to trying to shorten the height of the PiStorm stack, you can remove the plastic header and solder the Pi directory onto the PiStorm which might save about 1cm or so.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Badwolf wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:05 am
1) I wouldn't test with CACHE=ON until you have it working without cache. I'm not even sure the cache is working at all at present.

2) make can't pick up on the command line changes so do a make clean first.

It's a root-owned file. You'll need to edit it with sudo.

sudo vi /boot/cmdline.txt

BW
The github site (readme) was updated and the step involving "CACHE=ON" is now crossed out.

I actually thought about that after I posted that message. Almost all the other commands we're
doing are using "sudo".

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Steve wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:54 am Eventually when you get around to trying to shorten the height of the PiStorm stack, you can remove the plastic header and solder the Pi directory onto the PiStorm which might save about 1cm or so.
As you can see from the STacy's pictures, it's a very close fit for everything in there,
so thanks for that suggestion. While I'm stay a ways from that point, I'm keeping my
fingers crossed that I can shoehorn it in there somehow.

Been down this road before when I had to solder extensions for the original P/S to
move it into the STacy's battery compartment to make room for the Pak 68/3 board.

That was fun (not really). :)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Okay, so those final steps were done, apparently successfully and I shutdown.

(BTW, is "shutdown - h now still good or does it require "sudo halt" for the Pi 4?)

My next step(s) is to physically hook it up to the STacy and go from there.

I guess I'll be using an ST standard screen/res at first - do I have to do anything
special to make that work or should I still be going with the HDMI output/screen.

Thanks.

PS Re-reading the github readme since it's update...

PSS Oh, apparently "zz" doesn't work in vi with the Pi 4.

PSSS Got a beginners book for Pi 4's on the way as well as
digging up my "Linux for Dummies" book. Much, much
cramming and reading to do. Fun! :)
Steve

Post by Steve »

If you can't remember how to use vi (I mean, really, who does) just use nano, an editor anyone and their cat can use (including me) :)

And to shutdown / reboot just specify 'now', IE; sudo shutdown now / sudo reboot now.

You only need the HDMI if you're going to be testing ET4000 emulation. So at first you can just rely on the Stacy screen. When you first power on the screen will probably just stay white until you turn on the emulation (at this point you really, really, really need to be ssh'ing into your Pi and not typing into it using a keyboard) when you run the emulator it should spring to life. The Stacy can stay turned on while you stop/start/reboot the emulator/pi during testing, just run the clear memory command each time.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Nano. I'll keep that in mind. I used vi a lot "back in the day" when I was first playing around
with Mandrake Linux in 1999 (anyone remember that distro? Became Mandriva eventually).

Hmm, okay - I think I'll save the HDMI and ET4000 stuff until I get more used to this setup.

So with the Pi 4/PiSTorm plugged into the STacy's 68k CPU socket, which do I power on
first? The STacy or the PiSTorm setup? Or does it matter?

SSH surely does sound like the way to go for testing everything.

Thanks. :)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Darklord wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:03 am So with the Pi 4/PiSTorm plugged into the STacy's 68k CPU socket, which do I power on
first? The STacy or the PiSTorm setup? Or does it matter?
It matters a lot, glad you asked :) whatever you do, do not power the Pi via USB directly. The Stacy motherboard will provide 5v to the PiStorm and the Pi.

If you power the Pi directly AND turn the Stacy on you'll be providing two completely different 5v power sources which could potentially break something.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Steve wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:18 am
It matters a lot, glad you asked :) whatever you do, do not power the Pi via USB directly. The Stacy motherboard will provide 5v to the PiStorm and the Pi.

If you power the Pi directly AND turn the Stacy on you'll be providing two completely different 5v power sources which could potentially break something.
Oh, okay - that's good to know! :lol:

So the Pi 4/PiSTorm setup draws the necessary +5v from the 68k CPU socket itself and doesn't need an additional
+5v lead in. Gotcha.

Thanks!
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Hmm, I think I'm still a bit unclear on this issue... From the github:

-----
Install the hardware
Power Caution

How do you intend to power this thing? There are two possibilities

1 - power via the Atari This is okay for the final-cut, but for development, option 2 is suggested
2 - power via USB If you are developing, which requires numerous power cycles, then this is the option for you. You will need to make sure USB power (5v) does not reach the PiStorm. The Pi GPIO header supplies 5v power on pins 2 and 4. These two pins need to be cut. As the Pi physically can not connect directly to the PiStorm, a header extension is needed - this is where you cut the pins - do not cut the pins on the Raspberry Pi header. NOTE DO NOT APPLY POWER FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES
-----

Before our posts above, I had already removed the pins on 2 and 4 from the extender/header. But I hadn't used it yet.

Just to be clear, when the PiSTorm/Pi 4 combo is sitting in the 68000 socket, there's nothing that goes to it besides
the HDMI out (assuming you're to that stage and using it) or there's the HDMI out *and* a +5v lead from the motherboard
going to the USB power in on the Pi 4?

Thanks, and sorry if I'm being dense here - just don't want to fry anything. :)
dad664npc

Post by dad664npc »

If you are using a gpio header extender and cut pins 2 and 4 then you can only power the Pi with USB. Cutting these pins stops the USB 5v powering the PiStorm board. This way you can power cycle the Atari without having to halt the Raspberry Pi.
ATARI STfm, STe, Mega ST, TT, Falcon
Amstrad CPC464, CPC6128
PiStorm dev - https://github.com/gotaproblem/pistorm-atari
Pico HDC - https://bbansolutions.co.uk

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”