Putting a YM2203 FM soundchip in place of the YM2149

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
qq1975b

Re: Putting a YM2203 FM soundchip in place of the YM2149

Post by qq1975b »

joelolzen wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:57 am Here’s an example of the 2203 plying all its six voices
https://youtu.be/qSWCihT_2Ho
It sounds very good.
viking272

Post by viking272 »

That video replay was of amazing quality. How's the progress for this project?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I hope he comes back for this, it looked so promising.. but his profile says:
Last active:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:29 pm
:(
unseenmenace

Post by unseenmenace »

I'm not dead, just hadn't logged into this forum in a while, sorry everybody. The project has been on hold as I wanted someone with more experience than myself to go over my soundchip control line conversion logic and I'm hoping a certain someone will be willing to provide some feedback following a direct message I got on here a while back but had not seen. This is the current design, I've made a few changes following feedback I've gotten and things I've learned since starting this (such as a dedicated power input and a semi isolated ground-plane for the audio circuitry) and as soon as someone backs up my control line logic as making sense I will get a prototype PCB or 2 ordered, as I have a bit more disposable income than I did when I first started looking into this as I got a much better paying job last year :) :

Render-2.jpg
Render-2.jpg (192.28 KiB) Viewed 686 times
PCB-2.jpg
PCB-2.jpg (401.37 KiB) Viewed 686 times
Cyprian

Post by Cyprian »

keep finger crossed
Lynx I / Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
http://260ste.atari.org
nokturnal

Post by nokturnal »

@unseenmenace Cool project.. I've got vgm player already for opl2/3. I could help with it. I think it would be just a question of writing proper driver for it and handling ym2203 commands. Someone wrote that this chip could end up in Sts, but for some reasons didn't. Is this true? It could bring a massive difference back in 85..And I wonder what is the source of this rumour?
How programmer interface of it looks like? How this hardware can be detected from os?
How audio of this chip is integrated into st hardware? Does it need extra output connectors or sound is mixed somehow into st audio output?
saulot/[nokturnal]
------------------------
www: https://nokturnal.pl
unseenmenace

Post by unseenmenace »

nokturnal wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:02 pm@unseenmenace Cool project.. I've got vgm player already for opl2/3. I could help with it. I think it would be just a question of writing proper driver for it and handling ym2203 commands.
Thanks, I'm always happy for any help anyone can offer! I'm actually working on a stave based music program similar to Quartet that I plan to add support for the YM2203 to.
nokturnal wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:02 pmSomeone wrote that this chip could end up in Sts, but for some reasons didn't. Is this true? It could bring a massive difference back in 85..And I wonder what is the source of this rumour?
I have read that they originally wanted a Yamaha FM synth sounchip for the ST (though I think it was a more advanced one than the YM2203) but they changed plans to keep costs down.
nokturnal wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:02 pmHow programmer interface of it looks like? How this hardware can be detected from os?
The reason I picked the YM2203 is because it contains everything the YM2149 does (and has a very similar pinout) but just has a few extra registers to control the extra FM sound channels. You set parameters exactly the same way as the 3 square-wave PSG channels present in both the YM2149 & YM2203.
nokturnal wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:02 pmHow audio of this chip is integrated into st hardware? Does it need extra output connectors or sound is mixed somehow into st audio output?
You could have the 3 square-wave channels just go back into the ST's motherboard and be fed out of the monitor socket but the FM sound has it's own separate digital output requiring a Yamaha DAC chip and amplifier which would complicate merging the outputs together, hence the design of my PCB gives you the choice of 3 different ways to handle all the sound outputs:

1. All 3 PSG channels and the 3 FM channels merged into a single mono output
2. The 3 PSG channels combined into the left output and the FM channels into the right output
3. PSG 1 to left output, PSG 2 lowered and sent to left and right, PSG 3 to right output and FM output to both left and right

Ideally you'd mount some phono sockets or a stereo jack socket to the rear of the ST for this and connect to the chosen output from the PCB.
nokturnal

Post by nokturnal »

@unseenmenace Regarding vgm player pm me, so we will arrange something.
saulot/[nokturnal]
------------------------
chronicthehedgehog

Post by chronicthehedgehog »

Cool project. I've been playing around with MaxYMiser a lot recently so it got my interest.

I especially like projects that won't destroy my bank balance :)

Just a thought.. since it would require socketing the YM anyway. The means to retro fit a floppy drive A/B switch would be nice. Tented vias or something.
nokturnal

Post by nokturnal »

@unseenmenace I've wrote preliminary support for YM2203, so I can parse ym2203 VGM tunes right now, so the only thing needed is just fill in like three driver functions and done (init/deinit/write). So give a shout, when you will have something working..
saulot/[nokturnal]
------------------------

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”