My summer project: A colour Stacy

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Darklord

Re: My summer project: A colour Stacy

Post by Darklord »

Okay, another question. I've been watching a couple of the RGB2HDMI "how to" video's,
and in them they state that the device draws power from the ST's motherboard. It looks
like (and apologies if I've got this wrong), that other people are powering theirs using the
onboard P/S connector on the PiZero.

So can either one be used (but not both, I'm assuming)?

Thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
derkom

Post by derkom »

Darklord wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:42 am Okay, another question. I've been watching a couple of the RGB2HDMI "how to" video's,
and in them they state that the device draws power from the ST's motherboard. It looks
like (and apologies if I've got this wrong), that other people are powering theirs using the
onboard P/S connector on the PiZero.

So can either one be used (but not both, I'm assuming)?
IIRC (it's been a long time, and my brain isn't as young as it used to be), it can be done either way, or indeed both (as long as you're using the same +5V and GND), but I decided early on in my design to avoid loading down VCC on the motherboard wherever possible, since I accidentally ended up with a whole stack of upgrades in this thing, and the overall power draw is well beyond what Atari envisioned on this motherboard.

So my PiZero has a micro-USB connection for power, but I do not now recall what I did with the other end, but I assume I tied it directly to +5V and GND on the picoPSU.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

derkom wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:13 pm
IIRC (it's been a long time, and my brain isn't as young as it used to be), it can be done either way, or indeed both (as long as you're using the same +5V and GND), but I decided early on in my design to avoid loading down VCC on the motherboard wherever possible, since I accidentally ended up with a whole stack of upgrades in this thing, and the overall power draw is well beyond what Atari envisioned on this motherboard.

So my PiZero has a micro-USB connection for power, but I do not now recall what I did with the other end, but I assume I tied it directly to +5V and GND on the picoPSU.
I figured it was something along those lines. In the case of using the micro-USB connection for power, something else (one of the pins?) has to be dealt with otherwise, it will be fed power twice (not good).

Thanks. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
derkom

Post by derkom »

Darklord wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:54 pm In the case of using the micro-USB connection for power, something else (one of the pins?) has to be dealt with otherwise, it will be fed power twice (not good).
That wouldn't matter if the VCC is common. Not saying it is in this case, as I honestly don't remember, just sayin'...

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”