Atari STE - CPU replaced, problem with floppy drive now

Problems with your machine in general.
Dlfrsilver

Atari STE - CPU replaced, problem with floppy drive now

Post by Dlfrsilver »

Hello, I have finally replaced the 68000 by a 68hc000 bought to exxos in order to fix the Hard drive support.

At the moment, the hard drive is working correctly.

The remaining problem i have, is that on startup the Disk drive lights, like searching a floppy disk when i boot from hard drive, and if i don't insert
a disk, the led never goes off.

If i launch a game with the DD led on, the sound is off because the DMA is busy......

Any idea on how to finally fix that ?

Thanks !
DoG

Re: Atari STE - CPU replaced, problem with floppy drive now

Post by DoG »

Is the problem still there if you change back to 68000?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Ok, so have you applied the other mandatory fixes?

Mandatory Fixes

Whilst they are not necessarily all relevant to the STE, many are and will help stabilise the machine.

BTW, if these repairs are part of another thread, can I suggest you either link back to that thread, or add these comments there, as it will avoid duplication of effort if questions have already been asked on the other thread.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Dlfrsilver

Post by Dlfrsilver »

DoG wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:37 am Is the problem still there if you change back to 68000?
This is another problem occuring after replacing the CPU by the HC version.
Dlfrsilver

Post by Dlfrsilver »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:35 am Ok, so have you applied the other mandatory fixes?

Mandatory Fixes

Whilst they are not necessarily all relevant to the STE, many are and will help stabilise the machine.

BTW, if these repairs are part of another thread, can I suggest you either link back to that thread, or add these comments there, as it will avoid duplication of effort if questions have already been asked on the other thread.
I Guess i need to apply the SIL resistor (not done).

Wasn't there a story of pull ups to add on the WD1772 as well ?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Dlfrsilver wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:56 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:35 am Ok, so have you applied the other mandatory fixes?

Mandatory Fixes

I Guess i need to apply the SIL resistor (not done).

Wasn't there a story of pull ups to add on the WD1772 as well ?
There is detail of that plus a pull up for the DMA too.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”