Fixing up my MEGA STE

Problems with your machine in general.
Bikerbob

Re: Fixing up my MEGA STE

Post by Bikerbob »

OK, the media change mod? any pics of one done? OR a guide? if not thats cool.

OK, id mods I have done on the 920s .. thanks Chris.

thats what I thought troed, from everything else I have read.

I guess that 1 wire mod Alison did wont damage anything to try, can I get that program you made Chris so that I can test the mod?

Thanks guys.. sorry.. I am now playing with my VME video card.. everything is in german.. sigh..

SO, I can get the video card to boot up.. awesome!! but if I access the floppy (only the floppy) HD access is fine.. the system gives me 4 bombs and crashes. :( ahhh this is my hobby.. lol

James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Thanks Chris, but I was refering to the diagram at the start of the thread. The one you got from PP site.

Wondering if anyone has done that. and pictures of it.

James
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Wow, last post on this was Dec 2017.. this hobby is off and on when you have the time it would seem. :)

Well I just did my A/B switch on my MegaSTE.. that was super easy as the W401 and W402 are jumpered, so it was just a matter of jumpered wires to a DPDT switch and I have my A/B woot!

Removed the internal Scsi controller, because I see nothing I can use it for. IF I do Pputnik mod, I can do a larger drive, but then I have to pay for a 15+ year old SCSI to mount.. does not seem worth it.

I looked around but could not seem to find where I posted this.. but I wanted to put a DMA Activity LED where the HDD led would be.. aka - any activity on the DMA (HDD) bus would show on this .. so either Internal or external. My cosmos is at the back of the machine, so I cannot see any status light on it.
Does this look right? I just drew this up a while back , and thought I had asked for opinions. but cant find them.
LED1.jpg
LED1.jpg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
James
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Thought I would add here because I dont want to start a new thread.

I am finally getting to installing my FPU in my MSTE

I am using a Minipro TL866cs to program the GAL using MSTE_881.jed

Setup fine, drivers, software all good. I set the chip type.. no problem.. load the file and I can program it.

You can see that it successfully programs..
866cs_gal.jpg
866cs_gal.jpg (257.7 KiB) Viewed 5372 times

But it will not verify (V)erify from the menu.. after I have run the program. Also to visually look at the addresses they are not the same.

What about this LOCK bit?? Any help on this would be appreciated.

James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

It says its verified on your image..

You can't verify GAL's once the lock bit is set (its code protection, so will just read all 1's normally)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Thanks so much Chris, that answers it for me..

It verified after I did it.. then it put the lock bit on it.. now it cant.

Fantastic.. I will install my FPU and then find something that needs a trig or algebraic calc.. MUHAHA! lol.. Pointless upgrade.. but its my hobby damm it.

SOMEONE GET ME A MONSTER BOARD!!! Sounds like there are lots wanting them.. wonder why Alan has not done another batch?

James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

No idea about Alan. He seemed to have vanished even before I left AF.. I guess you could always email him and ask why no new batches of stuff.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

OK.. first try with the GAL and the FPU did not work.. just blank black screen.

FPU seems good in its socket.. Jumper is off.. Gal is in.. but no join.

I will try another GAL with no lock bit.

James

40mins later.. YES .. working with no LOCK bit.

UP and running.. according to SYSINFO :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@Bikerbob did you manage to get the JED file and GAL for this project? If so can you confirm the GAL part number (Looks like a 16V8D 15LPN),and could you please post the JED file here.

Thanks.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”