Taking a break.

Latest Atari related news.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Taking a break.

Post by exxos »

As some people have noticed, I haven't been active much lately. Nothing bad has happened, I am just taking some long overdue time off.

As regulars know, I haven't been sleeping well for some time and I have been fighting fatigue daily for the past few years now. I have sinus issues too, which cause me problems, along with IBS, where I can't eat much anymore without making me ill. I have RSI which makes using a computer / soldering pure hell for me these days. I have a lot of stuff going on outside of Atari world which also needs my attention. Working endless unpaid hours unfortunately doesn't pay my bills. Plus with endless drama with some people on top of all that isn't helping matters either. So for once in my life, I need to concentrate on my own well being and problems.

Just over 2 years ago (before Covid) I was building up store stock in order to take a break from it all. But Covid happened and sales shot up and 2 years planned stock was wiped out extremely quickly. Great in some ways, but not in others. I have spent the past two years frantically trying to increase production of store items. But with increased difficulty of obtaining parts, it's soaked up a lot of time & energy. My workload pretty much skyrocketed instead of winding down. It's one reason why items like Trudie, flashyclock and many other projects have been stalled for some time now, because I just do not have time or energy to work on them all. I was frankly exhausted after several iterations of the H4/H5 motherboard nevermind everything else on top of all that.

I setup this forum about 5 years ago where I have been running it fulltime, replying to people, giving support , dealing with issues etc along with with my store. There becomes a point where things simply stop being enjoyable. I am also being pulled in like 50 different directions at once with no break whatsoever. It's just about time I had some time to myself and just had a rest.

So I have stepped down as forum admin and moderator for the foreseeable future. I will no longer be involved in daily activities and complete control has been handed over to the forum admins and moderators. I hand-picked every one of those guys because they shared my vision in having a toxic-free forum and I am confident they will do an excellent job in my absence. The moderator team are "running the show" from now on.

I will be sporadically visiting the forum because I am still working on our move to our new server. I also have a lot of work to finish like writing the wiki engine and correlating all information over to it. This work could literally be ongoing for several months. Just to be clear, my webstore will remain open and I am still working in the background on stock and other background tasks.

Without trying to sound like a broken record, I have RSI. So there is not much typing and computer usage I can do per day anymore. It is greatly slowing things down, which to say the least, is very frustrating by itself. So any savings in my time will actually have a huge impact on things I can get done per day in other areas. I think stepping down from running the forum will reduce my workload and allow me to get on with other mentioned tasks.

Overall, have fun doing your retro hobbies. This is what the forum is about. As always, Be a part of the solution, not the problem!

exxos
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Cosmic Puppet

Re: Taking a break.

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

exxos wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:03 pm Be a part of the solution, not the problem!
exxos
You nailed it there. 8-)

Glad you're taking care of yourself.

Take care man and thanks for all your hard work!
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah, take are of yourself!

I hope the rest will take care of the RSI and other issues. Stress can affect your IBD symptoms, I know from experience.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

A well deserved break indeed, don't worry, we've got this.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
coonsgm

Post by coonsgm »

Take care and thank you for all that you do and have done for this community.
Acsi

Post by Acsi »

Glad your OK @exxos

Take care and recuperate.
Tbs123456

Post by Tbs123456 »

Thank you for setting everything up. I'm pretty much just a lurker for now, but I've learned a lot here just reading. Taking care of yourself is more important than anything else.
mikro

Post by mikro »

Enjoy your break and take care!
Cyprian

Post by Cyprian »

@exxos take a break and go back to Atari World

Take care
Lynx I / Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
http://260ste.atari.org
mgi

Post by mgi »

Look after yourself, this is the most important!

Return to “NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS”