Possible Russian Cyberattack coming soon...

Latest Atari related news.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Possible Russian Cyberattack coming soon...

Post by terriblefire »

It may not happen and I dont want to get into a major debate over why i'm saying it. You can either accept the advice or ignore it..

I recommend everyone change their Wifi keys and passwords to essential accounts ASAP. I'd strongly recommend email accounts and things that can be used to reset passwords get 2FA put on them.

I'd also recommend changing your SSID and router admin passwords too. If you can go to WPA2 + AES i would.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Possible Russian Cyberattack coming soon...

Post by rubber_jonnie »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:31 am It may not happen and I dont want to get into a major debate over why i'm saying it. You can either accept the advice or ignore it..

I recommend everyone change their Wifi keys and passwords to essential accounts ASAP. I'd strongly recommend email accounts and things that can be used to reset passwords get 2FA put on them.

I'd also recommend changing your SSID and router admin passwords too. If you can go to WPA2 + AES i would.
Definitely worth thinking about. Russia has one of the biggest number state sponsored cyber warfare actors, so you can see it's coming after what happened in the Ukraine.

We are going buying extra food this week just in case, and the WiFi was changed the day I unboxed it.

All of our banking stuff is already 2FA protected, but we're getting some cash out just in case.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:43 am
terriblefire wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:31 am It may not happen and I dont want to get into a major debate over why i'm saying it. You can either accept the advice or ignore it..

Definitely worth thinking about. Russia has one of the biggest number state sponsored cyber warfare actors, so you can see it's coming after what happened in the Ukraine.

We are going buying extra food this week just in case, and the WiFi was changed the day I unboxed it.

All of our banking stuff is already 2FA protected, but we're getting some cash out just in case.
All good stuff. However i'd change the wifi again just because i'm starting from the assumption that they have all my passwords and wifi details. And that they did that by wardriving. So renaming everything and changing the passwords will slow them down.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
alexh

Post by alexh »

Can't hurt I suppose. I'll take the pain later to change everything. Thanks for the idea.

My thoughts today are with the strong retro gaming community in Ukraine.

People like Krikzz who developed the Everdrive range of flash cartridges.

And Sergey Dvodnenko (srg320) who developed the SNES and MegaCD cores and is working on the Saturn core.

Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
Steve

Post by Steve »

There is more going on than Russia invading Ukraine going on here... the western nations know that using firepower would be a fatal mistake at this point, this is why they are playing economic cards for the time being. The mysterious 'shadow' player is Beijing, watching in the background looking for any excuse to seize control of Taiwan. Taiwan is all about control of technology and economy, so the west needs to show that those advantages can be nullified (I guess)

I might start reading/watching information on experts on modern warfare but this is what I gather so far.
xyzzy76

Post by xyzzy76 »

Grab a yubikey or similar device and use it to secure your online accounts. And have a spare to hand in case you lose the first :lol:
A1200 rev 1B & 1230-IV 50MHz / CPC 6128 / CPC 464 / ZX Spectrum 48K / ZX81

Return to “NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS”