Flashy clock buyers interests

All the good stuff hardware and software wise for the Phoenix H5 series motherboards.
Steve

Re: Flashy clock buyers interests

Post by Steve »

Put me down on the list!
CeRiAl

Post by CeRiAl »

Hi @Icky, hi @exxos!
It would be great if you could put me on the list, too, as I'm just finishing my H5C1 build :D
Thank you in advance!
| Atari 1040STF (4MB) | Phoenix H5C1 (in progress) | Amiga 1200 (ACA1221, Orinoco WiFi w/WPA) | Ultimate-64 Elite (Pixelwizard SX-64-Style) | Powerbook G4 (MorphOS-PPC) | TheC64 Mini (w/working keyboard) | Atari 800XL | Atari Portfolio | Newton MessagePad 2100 | ... and more |
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Just bumping this thead as several people showed interest in the 7.0 bodge wire edition.

I have a small number of boards which I will finish off this week. I guess it will have to be on a first come first served basis of ones which make it to the store.

V7.1 is the fixed PCB where I will produce about 20 of them. But again due to parts shortages, I doubt its going to be this year.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

@DoG
@derkom
@JezC
@PaulJ
@alienkidmj12
@Seabassnash
@DaveC
@Steve
@CeRiAl

You guys are in the interested list. But I have not got documented if you want board with or without alt-ram. I am basically assuming people want the RAM as well. The RAM will add about £40 onto the cost. I need to add up all the parts for the actual " baseline" version yet. Probably be somewhere around the £70 mark but it's only a guess currently.

Of course if anyone got bored of waiting, or to expensive or does not want it any more etc, then let me know and I will remove you from the list.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
derkom

Post by derkom »

I haven't even managed to get my H5 built yet, so while I am still interested (with RAM), you can slot me in behind others who would actually make use of the hardware this year. ;)
JezC

Post by JezC »

@exxos Still not sorted out the floppy issue on my H5...but still interested.

As to with/without RAM, that basically depends on what it would work with (I mean if there was a TF536 installed, would they both work...or if it has the TOS 2.06 decoder/accelerator or even a DSTB1 etc.)

I basically have the H5C1 & the H5B1 (as well as the 2x H4s) so I need to decide what to fit into which board.

I'd say yes to the RAM unless it will only work with a stock H5 + 8Mhz CPU...

Does that make sense to anybody else? :lol: :roll:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:50 pm As to with/without RAM, that basically depends on what it would work with (I mean if there was a TF536 installed, would they both work...or if it has the TOS 2.06 decoder/accelerator or even a DSTB1 etc.)
Kinda a whole bucket of problems for another day those.. Problem is the TF536 isn't a official H5 addon board. With the ST536 having its own ROM decoder.. which flashy has.. and its own alt-ram.. which flashy has.. TF536 will run at a different ROM speed than flashy... you can't really use both at the same time.

Of course it could be possible I could release some updated firmware for the ST536 in due time to make it more H5 compliant. But accelerators are not the direction the H5 is going in anyway. So it will be kind of a step backwards in some respects. The H5 will have a new FPGA core which will run at higher speeds one day. It renders all accelerators obsolete. With not much interest in the ST536 and not many H5's out there yet, mashing it all up would just a huge amount of work for nothing. I want to retire soon, not set myself up for endless years of work :) All this backs onto problems with 30 years worth of hardware add-ons. Unfortunately just cannot mash random things together with similar features and expect it all to work.

Its a similar problem with the TF536 and Trudie , that the TF536 has its own IDE. Its one reason I wasn't going to add IDE to the 536 in the first place as its just going to cause problems with official H5 addons, same with alt-ram. I think EMUTOS can work with alt-ram and TTram but its not really on my agenda to figure it all out.

Flashy alt-ram can run at 16Mhz with my own 16Mhz booster and possibly higher (not tested or supported yet) . Adding the DSTB1 , your back to alt-ram conflicts again And possibly ROM decoding conflicts with flashy or the TF536.

The SEC booster will work with flashy and alt-ram and the SEC with the DSTB1 (it was a design goal to make a low cost alt-ram board for the H5). If people want faster alt-ram then that's under design as well but its not going to be cheap.

The H5 platform is basically starting again from scratch. All the official H5 add-ons will all play nicely together. If you plug in anything else then you will likely end up in trouble. Imagine if I tried to get all the hardware for the past 30 years to play nice on the H5.. no thanks :lol: Someone else can do that if they want. It would be a neverending battle and a pointless one as there hasn't exactly been much hardware developed for a long time now. It's mostly obsolete unobtainable stuff. So why bother to support it.

While Trudie has a 206 decoder the same as flashy-clock, they talk to eachother on the bus. If flashy sees Trudie installed, it will disable 206 decoding on Trudie. They are designed to all work this way so stuff doesn't conflict. Its designed to be "plug and play" regardless of what H5 addons you mash into the thing. Other hardware just won't work. Unless you just use the H5 as a generic "STF" and not use any of the official addons thats is.

The official add-ons are in the Phoenix zone.. https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 106&t=4585

So if your running a TF536 then flashy isn't likely going to be of use to you. While I developed the ST536 on the H5, it works yes. But I am unlikely going to have it as a official addon. It covers most of the expansion slots so it be pointless anyway :lol: The H5 addons are all in a 68K footprint for a reason ;)
JezC

Post by JezC »

Thanks @exxos.

Yes, fully understand the reasons for the above. I have a few TF536 (v2 & v5) boards which can go into the other H4/H5 boards & keep them away from the other boards for now.

So, If I use Flashy Clock along with my (5v) Trudie then they will be fine together - which is good.

The one booster which is guaranteed to work with those will be the SEC booster? If so, that's fine too!

So, I'd be prepared to go for the version with RAM & use it with that SEC booster once it's released (and run it at vanilla 8MHz until then).

Thanks!
:mrgreen:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:13 am The one booster which is guaranteed to work with those will be the SEC booster? If so, that's fine too!
I think any booster can be made to work, but its getting into multiple variations of similar stuff. When the market is sub 10pcs sold on any one project, it's not really worth doing everything. It's a bit early days yet anyway as to what will ultimately work with what. SEC will work yes.

I guess the DSTB1 could be adapted to work with flashy without alt-ram. A side project was to make it a add-on for the H5. Basically because SEC development is incredibly slow ( like everything else) but also the SEC booster will be a lot more expensive than a DSTB1 for example. So while I do not want to do multiple projects, @Badwolf Is doing that project anyway. BW is interested in making the project supported on the H5 platform as well.

It should give people a low-cost option for the H5. Whereas when the SEC booster is done, people can upgrade at a later date if they so wish. The whole DSTB1 Project should cost less than the price of the RAM on flashy. Swings and roundabouts really. Probably the H5 version of the DSTB1 will be compatible with flashy, but probably just not have the SDRAM on the DSTB1 and use the one on flashy instead. It's a 55ns SRAM. So we could get a bit more performance out of it than the SDRAM. Of course if people do not want a flashyclock, then the DSTB1 can be used on the H5 with SDRAM anyway. So at least it gives some options for people.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@exxos Ok, great!

When I can get the DSTB1 built up, I can see how that goes (maybe disable the RAM once Flashy is installed).

Another option is your TOS 2.06 decoder with the 16MHz 68k plugged on top ;)
I've not added the CPU on top yet...but I guess Flashy is replacing the TOS decoding functionality anyway...so maybe that won't be worth using.

In which case, how about your older 16MHz accelerators (v1 or v1.5 etc.)?

Just trying to capture the possibilities open to me in advance of the SEC booster arriving!

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Return to “PHOENIX ZONE”