Server downtime

Latest Atari related news.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Server downtime

Post by exxos »

Sorry for the downtime folks. Someone forget to renew the certs again.. took some doing away from home.. feking server security and all that! :lol: :roll: :chairsmack:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Glad you got there in the end :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

My server certs failed to auto-update about a week ago. acme.sh's cron job was recorded that the certs were out of date but then stupidly wouldn't update them without adding a '--force' on the command line. What's the point of an automatic cron based update script if it doesn't bother updating? Grrrrr! :-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Rinse and repeat...

Yet again the certs failed to update automatically. I really don't know what is going on with the bloody thing. Maybe I need to do a ritual sacrifice of a magical unicorn or something in order for it to actually work.

It is pretty odd because the backup script is functioning fine. So I will change something again later on and do some better logging for it.

Thanks for playing Atari today :lol: :hide: :foldarms:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

It's not that you have to restart/reload your web server to read the updated certs, is it?

I don't think it's normally needed with Apache, but I've an IMAP server that you have to do that with.

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Yup, couldn't connect for a while.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Badwolf wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:08 am It's not that you have to restart/reload your web server to read the updated certs, is it?

I don't think it's normally needed with Apache, but I've an IMAP server that you have to do that with.
It does need apache reloading the configuration I think. But that should be done within getssl config.

The underlying problem was the certificate expired and the certs could not update exxoshost because it is a permanent redirect to exxosforum.. So the certificates expire and then exxoshost becomes inaccessible, which then seems to wipe out the entire update process. If the certificate had not had by then it would not ordinarily be a problem anyway.

In case anyone is wondering, exxoshost itself should not have affected the other domains but it did this time around. Because I did not realise when I set up the certificate stuff that I could bundle multiple domains into one cert kind of thing. So all the certificates were done previously individually.. If that was the case then exxoshost not updating would not have stopped the forum from working ( assuming people are accessing it on exxosforum domain). But in order to save myself some headaches and faffing about, everything was integrated into one single certificate. Which now I know if one thing does not work, it wipes out the entire lot :roll:

As the backup jobs are done through a script, I will move the update certs into a script and see what happens. It is possible there is some odd path problems running from cron or something. Also get some proper logging on it this time.

Return to “NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS”