Another PiStorm Blog

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: Another PiStorm Blog

Post by stephen_usher »

This is a better set-up. Unfortunately no room to have a dedicated monitor for the ST so having to switch the TV inputs.

IMG_3711.jpeg
IMG_3711.jpeg (252.74 KiB) Viewed 155 times

I found that the mask for the status needed to be changed as when the emulator was in 68030 mode the emulation wouldn't go into reset when the reset button was pressed as it was using a few more status bits, so I changed it from 0x00FF00 to 0x0FF000.

I think part of the issue of loading Frontbench from the UltraSATAN is that the DMA isn't working reliably enough. Trying to load the program into ALT-RAM leads to bit errors in the code -> illegal instruction or bus error. It works if loaded into ST RAM, so no multiple copying and transfer over the PS->Pi link, which doesn't seem at all reliable.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Glad to see you are making some incremental progress :)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Of course, the fact that there's corruption at all means that it's not right. This work around is just masking a real problem.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Increasing the "loopcount" variable to the max (1200 I've set it to) I can now get Frontbench to run under the 68020 emulation with ALT-RAM using EmuTOS.

Getting ~3000 frames per run. (Approximately the same as a 50MHz TF536 then.)

IMG_3712.jpeg
IMG_3712.jpeg (125.55 KiB) Viewed 137 times

Note: If I go higher than 1200 loopcount things start falling over again.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK, after running for a while the machine's become unstable. It seems that disk I/O is now unreliable, but not if I switch over to the 68000.

I may see if I can get Frontbench onto a floppy and then remove the UltraSATAN from the equation as I've had problems with that in the past.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah I definitely would not be bringing ACSI / DMA into the equation right now. Why not just make yourself a disk image in Hatari with all the tools you need, then mount it inside the emulator as a virtual IDE drive.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, with the latest unreleased firmware and emulator the machine is a lot more stable but it's the ACSI which is the main issue.

I'm booting off floppy and I can then set loopcycle down to 1 safely. Performance is hit (Frontbench scores drop by about a third) but it's working.

I've now switched to using the on-board ROM and that's working fine as well. Surprisingly there seems to be a Frontbench speed-up when using the real ROM rather than the emulated one.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

stephen_usher wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:53 am Well, with the latest unreleased firmware and emulator the machine is a lot more stable but it's the ACSI which is the main issue.
Did not know there was unreleased firmware. What's the difference between that and the previous release one which likely was downloaded in my setup ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'm not sure. The ataritest program has the clock option and that's all the detail I know as I've only been given binaries (on the PiStorm Discord).
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

There's a new Github branch of the code now: https://github.com/gotaproblem/pistorm- ... ee/may2024

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”