Another PiStorm Blog

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: Another PiStorm Blog

Post by stephen_usher »

I managed to find time whilst the dinner was cooking to get out and run the tests that cryptodad suggested with the new version of ataritest and lowering the GPIO clock as he suggested just made things worse and worse so it looks like the 125MHz clock isn't enough at least for this version of the EPM240.

I wonder if there are speed grades and the one that the PCB manufacturer fitted are too slow.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.99 KiB) Viewed 301 times

The parts used on my boards were all as-per original PiStorm BOM.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Fair enough.

I'm now wondering if there's interference from the WiFi module. I think my next test will be to turn that off. Even though the Pi is close to the access point it doesn't seem to be getting a good connection anyway. I can hardwire the network.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
nolina

Post by nolina »

Hello,
i am wondering if the issue could be related to different EPM240 version called Max II vs Max V. Search for EPM240 on the following git repo:
https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'm back from Somerset and had another play.

Firstly, I checked the EPM240 model to verify, and as Exxos said, it's the correct one.

I then tried just running the emulator at the GPIO clock frequency I was getting the best results from the ataritest program, namely 79MHz. As expected TOS tried to boot, crashed and tried to boot again.

Then I started tapping chips and wiggling things... nothing seemed to make any difference until...

Finally I pressed on the MMU and... The machine got to the desktop!

Managed to run Gembench.

IMG_3701.jpeg
IMG_3701.jpeg (321.88 KiB) Viewed 204 times

Frontbench crashes and the machine is not particularly stable but it's mostly working.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I had to crank up the loopcycles in the config file just to get TOS 2.06 to boot. EmuTOS is far less stable.
chronicthehedgehog

Post by chronicthehedgehog »

I've only briefly looked at the pistorm code and don't know much about it, but I wondered at the time if core isolation would help, i.e. dedicating a single core just to the emulator. Although I imagine there's not much else running so it's probably not required.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

"Frontbench crashes and the machine is not particularly stable but it's mostly working."

Congratulations on getting this far. :yay2:
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Looking good so far :thumbup:

Does the diagnostic cartridge show up anything unusual as you are having weird issues?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

exxos wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:50 pm Looking good so far :thumbup:

Does the diagnostic cartridge show up anything unusual as you are having weird issues?
If I switch over to the 68000 the machine runs perfectly. Similarly if I swap the TF536 with the PiStorm.

Looking at the verilog file it seems that they're not fully emulating the bus cycle, making a few assumptions. With Gembench showing 101% ST RAM memory speed I have a suspicion that the bus timing is not right as the maximum speed should be determined by the MMU as that's controlling the bus cycle.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”