Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
nokturnal

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by nokturnal »

opl part is accessible via simple register read/writes (they are for sure wired to opl interface, because on PC OPL2/3 timings need to be maintained (well it does matter for OPL2, not OPL3, because OPL2 internal clock is much slower than CPU's)). Digital audio is another part, but I haven't looked into it much and I don't know how it's programming model looks like, I was more interested in opl2/3 integration/use.
saulot/[nokturnal]
------------------------
www: https://nokturnal.pl
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

nokturnal wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:05 pm opl part is accessible via simple register read/writes (they are for sure wired to opl interface, because on PC OPL2/3 timings need to be maintained (well it does matter for OPL2, not OPL3, because OPL2 internal clock is much slower than CPU's)). Digital audio is another part, but I haven't looked into it much and I don't know how it's programming model looks like, I was more interested in opl2/3 integration/use.
Ah! Yes the OPL part of a SoundBlaster should work fine :)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Oh my god the nostalgia! I love this.

opl vgm routines ported over from vgmslap for Dos, outputting to a Resound2 opl3 isa card.

I went with a Jam plugin mostly because I was used to them but I think it makes sense to take a look at doing them for mxPlay instead since it supports long filenames, drag and drop, has working playlist, and looks nicer :)
mikro

Post by mikro »

Seeing all this cool stuff in GEM desktop, running the well known applications and reminding myself that this isn't Falcon but a clone feels very weird. Up this point we were all used to the simple equation "Atari clone = less features = less fun" (except the obvious higher screen resolution) and now this! Your Raven has all sorts of cool hardware (hardware!!!) attached to it and still feels so ... Atari. Something which (in my purely personal view) Hades, Milan, FireBee or Apollo never achieved.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Indeed! I cannot agree more @mikro it's absolutely sensational!
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

As I read this topic I am amazed almost daily with the new achievements you make @agranlund . Happy to support you with this when the time comes.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

mikro wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:38 pm Seeing all this cool stuff in GEM desktop, running the well known applications and reminding myself that this isn't Falcon but a clone feels very weird. Up this point we were all used to the simple equation "Atari clone = less features = less fun" (except the obvious higher screen resolution) and now this! Your Raven has all sorts of cool hardware (hardware!!!) attached to it and still feels so ... Atari. Something which (in my purely personal view) Hades, Milan, FireBee or Apollo never achieved.
Thank you @mikro ! I get the same type of sensation using it. It feels so very similar to my ST it's easy to forget it was born in the garage. Apart from the much faster CPU I think those ISA slots are really the best feature of the board and I'm so happy to have them, it opens up for very fun type of programming.
nokturnal

Post by nokturnal »

@agranlund nice, I've seen vgmslap, it's quite fresh. I've started from https://github.com/DhrBaksteen/ArduinoOPL2, but now it's quite something bigger and different. Everything is c99 and players are independent from OPL2/3 hardware. I think I will have working RAD replay soon (https://www.3eality.com/productions/rea ... ib-tracker). Maybe furnace tracker will be next, but I haven't seen any proper documentation / replay anywhere. But music can be exported to vgz anyway, which is quite straightforward..
saulot/[nokturnal]
------------------------
www: https://nokturnal.pl
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Time to start a little bit with Revision.A1, mostly minor fixes and additions.
Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 16.14.48.png
Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 16.14.48.png (545.62 KiB) Viewed 398 times
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

Much better for the black bird!
That specimen on the right used to be a yellow version of the original one to the left.
fan.jpg
fan.jpg (48.78 KiB) Viewed 299 times

Both the Y and B versions of those 47.5mm Wakefield-Vette heatsink/fan combos clips perfectly onto the 68060.
Now I just need a rev.A1 board for this to look tidy.. there are no fan connectors on A0 :)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”