Replacing 30-Pin SIMM Sockets on Atari Mega STE

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
MacTech05

Replacing 30-Pin SIMM Sockets on Atari Mega STE

Post by MacTech05 »

I need to replace one broken SIMM Socket on my Mega STE. I thought, since it is 30 years old, I may as well replace all 4 sockets.

Does any have any advice/precautions that may be helpful? I have searched everywhere, but I can not find an instructional video on YouTube or anywhere else, not even a written guide or anything.

I can do the job, I was just hoping someone with experience replace SIMM Sockets in the Mega STE might be able to assist me by way of a guide or advice.

Thank you!

Randy
Steve

Re: Replacing 30-Pin SIMM Sockets on Atari Mega STE

Post by Steve »

I replaced 4x simm sockets on a regular STe recently, it is extremely difficult to do with regular de-soldering because there are so many connections and the solder points are very small, unlike regular components. I personally used hot-air from underneath to remove the socket, then cleaned up the holes with wire-wick. You gotta be careful not to burn the board though, gotta have good flux that withstands temps for a decent amount of time.

Another way of doing it... perhaps it might be easier. Destroy the sim socket plastic with pliars/snippers, remove the plastic. Then remove each connection point with soldering iron & clean up with wire wick.
alexh

Post by alexh »

If it is just the clips, why not glue the SIMM in place? That is what I have done. I had two SIMM sockets with broken clips and I just superglued the SIMMs in place.

Not like I am ever going to want to remove those 2*1MB SIMMs.
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
Steve

Post by Steve »

alexh wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:41 pm If it is just the clips, why not glue the SIMM in place? That is what I have done. I had two SIMM sockets with broken clips and I just superglued the SIMMs in place.

Not like I am ever going to want to remove those 2*1MB SIMMs.
^^ yes this... It's best to just do something like this. It is very easy to fail the replacement sockets and break your machine.
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

Would'n hot glue be a better alternative, it would be less destructive than superglue, and you could replace the simms if needed.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Maximilian wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:56 am Would'n hot glue be a better alternative, it would be less destructive than superglue, and you could replace the simms if needed.
Hot glue becomes brittle and just breaks off over time. I'd use an epoxy, because with an epoxy it can still be broken off with some force if required.
MacTech05

Post by MacTech05 »

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I think I will go with the desoldering and removal of the old SIMM sockets and soldering the new sockets. This is the general procedure I know best and am most familiar with. Hopefully, all will go well. I have all of the materials and parts to do the job, so it is time for me to get to it!

Again, thank you!

Randy
(C.R. Hayes)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”