Whoops, I did it again. I have a problem, Dragon 32 inbound

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Whoops, I did it again. I have a problem, Dragon 32 inbound

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Higgy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:53 am You might have all this info, but this is where I first saw the CASDunio for MSX:

http://arduitape.blogspot.com/2016/03/a ... m.html?m=1

I naively thought oh the the Dragon also uses .CAS files so I contacted the team. After some back and forward they tweeked the firmware and got Dragon .CAS files working on the same firmware as MSX :)

I don't have any Dragons now, and I am not sure if MiSTer Cores accept tape input. I was helping some American Roger test his CoCo/Real Dragon Core but that has gone quiet.

Dragon tape files were a right pain to get the right format to actually load. I still have the files on my SDcard for my CASDuino. I can send them to you if you want? You really want to be starting with tape images you know will load, and load quickly at that ;)
Sounds like you've been pretty busy in the Dragon scene in the past :)

I think my main issue is that I misunderstood what tapduino was capable of, and didn't realise there was a MaxDuino that did a whole lot more, such as MSX which I also want a cassette emulator for.

If you still have the files, that'd fantastic if you could send them or link me to them, thanks so much.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It's a pity that the SVI-CAS is only available directly from the developer in Australia as that looks like the best of the tape loading devices at the moment.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:56 am It's a pity that the SVI-CAS is only available directly from the developer in Australia as that looks like the best of the tape loading devices at the moment.
Yeah, it looks pretty good I have to say. Not cheap, but well worth it if you need a one size fits all solution.

I think I'm going to try and install MaxDuino on the TapDuino I have, seems like the quickest solution.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:21 am I think I'm going to try and install MaxDuino on the TapDuino I have, seems like the quickest solution.
Will be interested how that goes. If all’s well I may try it on my TZXDuino
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Icky wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:04 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:21 am I think I'm going to try and install MaxDuino on the TapDuino I have, seems like the quickest solution.
Will be interested how that goes. If all’s well I may try it on my TZXDuino
Looking like a faff to do (Needs doing via the Arduino IDE), so may take a little time to get done. Ho Hum.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Well, I've been trying to use the COCOSDC and boy what a pain in the rear, but not its fault.

Nope, the Dragon keyboard is possibly the worst of all the keyboards for all of my machines, and I include the ZX81 in that list!!

Trying to type commands of any sort, be it basic or those for the COCOSDC is a nightmare, because despite having mechanical switches and having a refurb, including contact cleaner, some still don't work well at all, requiring heavy or repeated prodding to work.

Not only that, but the debounce is not great, so you sometimes end up with double characters. It's annoying as it's only about 3 or 4 keys, but trying to type SDIR or DIR when both I and R are not behaving is very frustrating!!

:dizzy:

So I need to have a closer look at those switches, see if I can improve things to the point where typing isn't a chore.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

From what I remember, they use the same keyboard switches as the BBC Micro and Memotech and they are prone to tarnishing on the contacts, generating noisy connections, which the machines see as multiple key presses.

*SOMETIMES* you can get "Deoxit" or similar (Electrolube, the version with a reducing agent chemical) inside via the stem and it will help, but it often doesn't help. The only full solution is to disassemble the switch and thoroughly clean and sand the tarnish off the stems or replace the switch.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:29 am From what I remember, they use the same keyboard switches as the BBC Micro and Memotech and they are prone to tarnishing on the contacts, generating noisy connections, which the machines see as multiple key presses.

*SOMETIMES* you can get "Deoxit" or similar (Electrolube, the version with a reducing agent chemical) inside via the stem and it will help, but it often doesn't help. The only full solution is to disassemble the switch and thoroughly clean and sand the tarnish off the stems or replace the switch.
You've probably hit the nail on the head with the noisy connections. I can't speak for the Memotech, but the keyswitches on the BBCs I have are different to those on my Dragon, which are like this with the keycap removed:

PXL_20220610_100427182.jpg
PXL_20220610_100427182.jpg (180.05 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

With every keypress the metal fingers can come together and make contact (or not!). Also on my Beebs, the switches can all be replaced individually and have 2 contacts at the bottom (These can actually be removed and allow for DeOxit or similar to be sprayed in), but on my Dragon at least, the switches and stems are in a one piece plastic keyboard unit that I suspect has to be removed all at once, but does allow for switch replacement.

I think my only option, since Electrolube hasn't worked, is to physically clean the connections, so I'll do that next.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@rubber_jonnie I might have a Dragon keyboard about here somewhere, lemme see if I still have it.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:32 am @rubber_jonnie I might have a Dragon keyboard about here somewhere, lemme see if I still have it.
Appreciate that, though I think with a bit more fettling this one can be salvaged, it's only about 4 keys, they're just keys I need to use :dizzy:

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”