I also did a Rubber Jonnie and bought another computer

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: I also did a Rubber Jonnie and bought another computer

Post by stephen_usher »

That Lman music just sounds like any old demo music. Sort of stuck in the late 90s dance clubs, unfortunately.

That first one looks impressive though.

Sampled stuff. I've got a cart image which plays an Elvis Costello track. It just shows garbage on the screen whilst doing it though.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:55 pm That Lman music just sounds like any old demo music. Sort of stuck in the late 90s dance clubs, unfortunately.
lol. That's fair enough. Music tastes and all that. His other stuff is varied in style and maybe worth checking out. I just randomly picked the wrong one for you. Anyway the 'impressive' thing with it was that it sounded just like the real version, despite being too 'dance clubby' :)

Maybe the tune where all the guys are jumping on Coma light 13 would be more suitable?

(song is at 10:08)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

That's better. Still a bit clichéd demo music, but there are some things that other chips can't do natively.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:16 pm That's better. Still a bit clichéd demo music, but there are some things that other chips can't do natively.
Bear in mind, also, that with any sort of electronic instrument (especially of this age), it tends to be suited more to an electronic music style.

Classical/accoustic music would be very hard to do. Infact, it's only with the advent of the 'ROMpler' synths and later that anything like that became possible.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I was thinking more Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis or Tomita.

e.g.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:47 pm I was thinking more Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis or Tomita.
Hmmm... Nothing off the top of my head that's really technically impressive. But for generally nice tunes in that sort of style:

Loading music from Oceans Parallax
In game music from Zoids

Can't think of any more ATM, but am I getting warm? :)

(I'm going to stop linking vids now as it's going to really mess up your thread).
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

That's OK. It's my thread and I'll do what I want to. Hehe.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Just occurred to me, (IIRC that is) the loading music for Commando is JMJ. (The in game music is very good too; Rob Hubbard at his best).
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'll have a look, probably tomorrow.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”